1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P4 vs Celeron D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burke, 16 Mar 2005.

1. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

A Buddy of mine was offered his Dads Celeron D 2.66 proc 256k with 53fsb....to replace his P4 1.6 256k cache.....Im honestly not sure which way to tell him to go....My instincts are to stick with the P4...but Im not really educated on the new celeron D's...He's going to be gaming...has 512mb ddr400, and a GF6600 (256mb). So I know that will take the strain off the proc....but which will he get better gaming performance from...the P4 or the celeryD?

2. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

go with the CeleronD but he will need a new motherboard to use it, his 6600 is so bottlenecked it aint funny. the celeronD is actually a pretty good games performer, (was using one as a game server :p )

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

This is an interesting one. A while ago I had a decision between a Celeron D 2.66 and a 1.8Ghz P4 for a bang-around computer. I stuck in the P4, and was actually surprisingly pleased. It benchmarked about the same, but the P4 just felt faster, if not actually performing faster (which, in real world apps, I still say it does). Up to you though...:worried:

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well game server needs CPU power for calculating... umm.. really bots and a bit of network stuff. And not all servers have bots. Regardless, a P4 and CelD will be a bit different doing bots than physics which is what the bulk of game calculations are on the CPU.

I'd say probably go for it... the new CelD's aren't that bad, and they've got the same cache, the P4 is probably only 400FSB and the CelD has 1 Ghz on it. It was cache that really held the old celerons back I think, and although they won't compare to a northwood/prescott CPU, a 1.6 ("a" I'd bet) is probably moderately similar clock-for-clock

5. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Mmm...so the celery eh...What kinda difference are we talking? 10% 30%?

6. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Bump

7. dead_man

is he getting it for nothing? if so take it and build a second system, then he can have the best of both worlds, slow P4 and a slow ass internet machine :thumb:

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cmon, stop this - it's been 2 hours and it's 4am GMT when you posted the previous reply.

9. dead_man

i was gonna say that but im not geek enuff to performe that opinion

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Make sure you overclock the Celeron-D, most are nice in that respect. I've got a Cel-D 320 (2.4ghz stock, 533fsb) that does 3.1ghz, 693fsb). Quite nippy.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would say you cant use a spell check either.

:p

12. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I've just upgraded from an Athlon XP1900+ to a Celeron D 335 (2.8GHz), and it's not a bad processor at all. Nippier in video tasks than the Athlon and just seems a little more effective. And a big speed hike.

13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

hmmm, bindibadgi, getting a little (understandably) testy? :D How does one "performe (sic) an opinion," anyways?

Anyhow, the percentage difference is a complete unknown, Burke. It depends heavily on other system factors. The best way to know is simply to take the free chip, get a mobo for it (if necessary) and test it out. And don't bump...every time you bump, we club a baby seal. Think of the seals. Cute little things...*WHAM*

14. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Sorry fellas...He was hounding me so I bumped it to get him off my back. Didnt mean no harm.

15. Cowcharge

Cowcharge What's a Dremel?

I just bought a Celery D 2.93, got it clocked to 3297 so far, have had it higher but it needs more cooling before I can leave it there...