Project: The Punisher **56k warning**

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KGB, 18 Mar 2005.

1. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

im a fairly new to bit-tech ive read alotta logs and whatnot, and desided id try my hand, unfortunantly for me, money is slow right now, so i do what i can when i can. my first mod was putting together a basic system for gaming, simple just a 2.4 gig amd with a geforce 5700le, nothing special really. next step up i desided id try my hand at making the case itself, and mocked eddie the danes vesperdeco htpc, not as nice, nor as expencive im sure, but its turned out decent. now im going for more of the modding then making.

the whole theme for this project is the punisher, mainly because i havent seen a punisher themed case yet, and the rig i plan on sticking in it is going to be nice enough to say itd punish most at the average lan party (3gig cpu+ 1gig ram+ 6800pci express) unfortuanantly i have no money to do anything yet, so i started with what ive got. so far the psu ;-)
    [​IMG]

its a cheap 250watt psu that i happen to have on me, so first thing i did was add a top fan!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ( say what you want, im horrible with the :dremel: )
    so anyway, next thing needed was color, for the inside of the case, i plan on using a nice flat grey that looks dull so to complement everything else, and for the outside im going to do a nice metalic black!
    full pic with fan mounted:
    [​IMG]
    black(bad pic i know):

[​IMG]

i have so many ideas floating around in my head right now, im not 100% exactly sure how itll turn out, but i just hope it'll be worthy to be looked at.
    hopefully more to come soon, but i might be a good week before i can order the case, until then ill keep writing these ideas down! and suggestions/flames?

2. dj_2004

dj_2004 What's a Dremel?

youre not using that psu in the end right?

3. Scaleo^

Scaleo^ Guest

Smaller pics would be nice :), Psu is nice, just round the cables or something

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Looks a good spec pc.

But you got to learn how to use a camera;) And resize those MASSIVE pics.

- S

5. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

not sure, probably, unless i get a good deal on a higher watt one. this one is acctually very quiet even with the top fan going. when i tested it at first i thought id broke it but then noticed the fans were going lol.

-images resized
    as far as wireing, i plan on doing some condo work but im gonna wait tell near the end to put that stuff on so that way i can get it right.

possible case:
    [​IMG]

reason: lots of modding room, and physical room. its a cheap steal full tower case, so like i said lots of modding room, and physical room :D

Last edited: 18 Mar 2005
  6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

that thing is massive! you could make some extra cash by renting part of it out for a tennant to live in!

7. Pistol

Pistol Guest

Etching ideas for the window:

You could do a full size picture of Frank standing there, looking menacing...

Something from "Welcome Back Frank" or one of the darker Punisher comics.

Unless you're talking about the movie, then do the movie poster as an etch...that would look sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

8. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

sweet idea, what i had in mind was a transparent red applique (or etch dunno much about etching) of the punisher symbol on the main window, then on the mobo side, have a smaller window with this in the same manor:
    [​IMG]
    what do ya think?

9. Scaleo^

Scaleo^ Guest

Thats nice :)

10. Pistol

Pistol Guest

I was thinking something more ominous, like the punisher in a small circle of light (talking about the etching). Something where he's not pointing a gun at you, but looks like he could kill you with his eyes. The cover of Welcome Back, Frank would be perfect for the motherboard side.

11. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

i dunno, im assuming you mean this cover:
    [​IMG]

it just seems too detailed of an image, and youd get lost trying to figure out what it is, maybe just his face or something, the reason i like the one i showed, its somewhat simple yet very ominous.

12. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

sorry i havent updated in a while, just thought id let yall know im buying the case tommorrow, and itll prolly be a week before i get it, but over the weekend i will do my mouse and keyboard up :D atleast its something heh, so frustrating to have to wait this long lol

13. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

I wanna see more!!! :hehe:

14. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

Project: Punisher UPDATE!!! 3/24 keyboard+mouse

somewhat nice update here. i painted the mouse and keyboard today, with the black like the back of the psu, and i have to say, im very dissapointed in it :waah:
    first off, its NOT shiny, its NOT smooth, and i dunno just doesnt feel right. anyone know of anyway to fix the shiny problem? my guess is its cause its plastic? anyway here are the images:

1) untouched(sotospeak):
    [​IMG]
    2) so im ready to paint and its all apart, only the problem is, this keyboards keys are acctually attatched to the top panel? i dunno about you but every keyboard ive ever taken apart, the top panel was seperate, needless to say caused a good half hours extra work :(
    [​IMG]
    3) all sprayed and finished:
    [​IMG]
    4) the mouse (which i think looks nice, but could be alots shinier and way smoother then it turned out :wallbash: )
    [​IMG]
    5) the big wammy, i was most dissapointed in this, it just turned out funky, even though this pic is really bad it does looke alot better then in this picture, but there is absolutly no shine or reflection of anykind, and isnt remotely smooth :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: )
    [​IMG]
    these im ok with though, if i can fix them i will, if not o well as long as the case doestn end up doing this (steel) which i bought today. when i get down to painting the case, im going to take my time and do it right, i kinda rushed this one to get it done before dark which didnt happen anyway.
    any other suggestions/flames?

15. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

also, curious, would it be worth it to do a duel xeon setup? (3ghz each) and probably 4-8gig ram capable mobo hopefully with a pci express slot so i can still do the 6800gt pciexpress (or agp if not, hell i can save some money :p) mind you itd take me forever to buy this shiz lol
    summers comming soon so i should get money like crazy. but yeah any suggestions?

16. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

The dual Xeon's wont be worth it, a good AMD64 setup will perform just as well in games and such. As for 16GB of RAM, you're throwing your money away...Windows can only address 2 or 4GB, don't remember which...but still.

The reason the keyboard and mouse didn't turn out smooth and shiny is, simply put, you didn't paint them right for them to be smooth and shiny. In order to get a nice mirror reflection on plastic, you need to do a ton of coats, with good sanding in between. Prime the plastic, paint, sand with 600grit, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand...and so forth. Once you get a good, thick paint covering (mind you, in tons of coats. Coats should be light and thin), you should clearcoat it, then sand with 1000grit through around 1800grit, then use a good rubbing polish compound, and you'll get a completely mirror reflection. If all you want is shiny and smooth, don't do all the sanding and compound after the clearcoat :)

Still, looks interesting so far :)

EDIT: Just read the whole thread, and whatever you do, DO NOT use that PSU in the end, 'specially with a 6800GT. Best case, the PSU won't be able to do the job. Worst case, it won't be able to do the job, and it'll send crazy voltages, and take the rest of your system with it.

17. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

oh wow thanks for the heads up! i put about 5 thin coats of the black, and atleast 6 clear coats, monday ill take it to the shop and sand it all off and start it over. what psu do you recommend thats reletivly cheap? (thanks again for that, just saved me alotta money :D )

18. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I second the psu not been upto the job... But you don't need to spend an absolute fortune ethier get somthing like a 480w tagen :rock:

19. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

well i got a bit bored this morning so i was shopping around, and im wondering, id planed on doing a 3ghz p4 with 1gig ram and then mobo has alotta stuff, like a bunch of sata ports and stuff, but anyway would it be better to do an amd 64? i dont really know anything about amd's which is why i really was going towards a p4 but it seems to be getting quite expencive lol. so anyway it'd save me alotta money if i did an amd64 1.8ghz 2800+ is this a good processor for gaming? or should go stronger with the 3000+? (also im going to sand down the keyboard and mouse today, case should be in on thursday)

20. McGuinness

McGuinness Banned

Go with a 3000+ they are easier to overclock.