1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor PC. updated 3/22/05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by deepdivered, 15 Mar 2005.

1. deepdivered

deepdivered What's a Dremel?

Hello I have been wonting to build a pc where everything was in a monitor like the imac. So here it is I finally did it. We upgraded our old pc so I had the old parts to use to build it. So first I went out and found a monitor that was broken. I got a 21in monitor for $10 at a used computer store. So I took it home and ripped all the gusts out of it. The plastic was in three man parts that screwed together. The frame, the bottom, and the case. I remade a bottom for it out of sheet metal for everything to screw to. Then made motherboard rack which I got from an old case. then made a cd drive rack, whichI had to make it able to unscrew vertically so I could upgrade or change it out for something else because I have two cd drives, one burner and one regular drive. Starting to think I don’t need 2 anymore. Used them for ripping cd's, but one works fine. Then I mounted the power supply under the motherboard tray and the hard. And after that I bought a 19in flat screen brang it home and took off all the plastic stuff and then cut out the speakers and the buttons. I had to lengthen these wires, and then mould the buttons into the front under the screen. Then I added some fans and cathodes. And then paint. I then made it so it hade one power cord to power the pc and LCD screen so one cord came out of the case but then split to two inside. Its so clutter free. No wires going every where and its all in one case. Great for LAN parties!!!! Then it’s all done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Mar 2005
  2. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

:thumb: real nice :)

paint job is like spiderman style :p

3. deepdivered

Yup. That was the idea. Now I even have web in the corner of the screen. Plus the cathodes are blue and red. So what does everyone thing of this project?

4. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

Nice mod, but the paintjob wasn't the best.

5. mondriaan

mondriaan What's a Dremel?

Hope that isn't the final paint. :sigh:

6. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

lol not bad, kinda rough in places, but what can you do.

7. deepdivered

Well any suggestions? What should I add change? This was my first project like this. Haven’t worked with plastics sense jr. high and all we did was bend it there. So I don’t know how to do much with it or what tools to use to make clean, strait cuts. Any one know where i can get some info on this? or can anyone give me info on this?

Last edited: 15 Mar 2005
  8. deepdivered

I put to access doors on this. On in the back for plugging things in and one on the side incase I wanted to do anything there like switch out a drive or something. Well any ideas on how to hinge this? And how o keep them shut but then be able to open them when I wonted to. How would I make these doors out of plexiglass? Would plexi be the best choice? Is there a better see through plastic I can use? :dremel:

Last edited: 16 Mar 2005
  9. dubya01

dubya01 What's a Dremel?

OMG!!!!! I have that monitor as my main monitor. Got it for $50 bux on ebay (plus $70 shipping lol). Great monitor....

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Nice work, great for a first mod! Rather iMac-ish (I think, I dunno, I don't do macs) in a sense but better :D I've seen the concept done before but never with a 21" monitor... that must be beastly. You should mount some sort of handle on top if you haven't already for more portability.

11. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I like the work you've done with it, though I can't really say the concept thrills me. I spend a lot of time trying to make sure my desk DOESN'T have a big, ungainly monitor. In fact, the smaller I can make my computer, the happier I am.

But, to each their own, and that doesn't mean you didn't do a nice job! Maybe revisit the paint job a little, though.

12. tsa cain

tsa cain What's a Dremel?

Me and a buddy of mine were going to make a monitor pc. We couldnt get(afford) an lcd monitor though.

13. deepdivered

it may be a little big but it is supper light! keep the ideas comeing i would like to do more with it :D

14. deepdivered

Any ideas

15. deepdivered

Here is my idea for new paint job. what you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its from this spiderman cherictor venom [​IMG]

postid this at another site. what you all think?

this is my first proect, only thing i have done befor this is add an led to a mouse. but i plandto get some bondo and mold in the drives. but then i liked the stelthing ideas. but how to make it stelth? i dont see how i would do that. any ideas. a like te handil idea also. i added 2 usb ports on the left. what is the cleanest way to cut plastic. and thous hols arefor the speacers. wonted everything built in. good for lan party. the coulers are for spiderman. any one good at drawing wont to give e an idea of a better spiderman theme of paint? and how to hing thow doors and keep them shut? but still be adil to open when needed. or how to make them out of plexi. i am using ducktap to hold them there right now. lol. i also wontto put in this headphone jack http://www.frontx.com/cpx090.html it turns of spekers when you plug in headphones good for lan party. i was also thinking of replacing one of the drives with this cathoid ontroler http://www.frozencpu.com/lit-116.html it does tuns of cool stuff. i mean on cd drive is enuf, i dont need two so ill gust keep the burner in thee. so if i did that no need to stelth. what is your thoghts on these ideas?

here is another site that talks about the controler and it shows some of the afects http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=82970 and here is a video of it http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/movies/lit-116_2.wmv

16. deepdivered

here is the two parts i am adding

[​IMG] this is going on the front. when i plug in my head fones it turns off the speackers

and

[​IMG]

here is what it can do. The Lightbus is used to control your case lighting and fans. Supports over 600 different combinations of lighting effects. Support up to 4 different channels for lights or fans. Fits in a 5.25 inch drive bay.

[​IMG] fan speed

[​IMG] effect 1

[​IMG] effect 2

[​IMG] hdd activity

[​IMG] sound

[​IMG] auto or manuol fade

pluss meany more

17. (X)TORNADO(X)

(X)TORNADO(X) What's a Dremel?

Nice start keep it up... :thumb:

18. deepdivered

i got rid of the cathode cuss i read how the inverters are cheep and there are a few of them that the capasiters pop and then it get realy hot and sens my case is like all plastick it would catch it on fire!!! cuss i wouldent ever turn off the lights!!! i am still going to paint it that venom style. for the decals i am going to use this rub on decals. its the same stuff used on that doom 3 case. http://www.decal-paper.com/rub-on-paper.html i am going with the Sunbeam Chameleon Light Kit. http://www.frozencpu.com/lit-115.html The Chameleon Multi-Color Light Kit lights up your computer case and you choose the color. 4 multi-color bright LEDs. The red, green, and blue knobs can be adjusted to change the LED colors. You no longer have to settle for one color when you can pick the color you want any time!! my ideas isent to have the lights blink like crazy i want them to fade in and out slowly. or flash to the gun fire of my came. Its land party bling. lol
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    with this effect
    [​IMG]
    i am going to put the color changing nobs on the side of the case.
    I am still going to use that fan light controler. one chanle for this and the other three for fans.

19. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

reminds me of an emac... wonder why haha

20. cysus

cysus What's a Dremel?

Where did you find this?