1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft may face $5 million fine a day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 21 Mar 2005.

1. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

^^^^
    Yup Yup :D

Back on topic:
    Even if Microsoft were to continue, how long would it be before the fines started to have an actual effect?

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

It would depend on how much MS makes in a day.

3. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

If Microsoft has to face this every time in Europe... Why bother selling your software there? Heh, I'll leave their pcs without an OS....

4. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

x

Last edited: 25 Oct 2013
  5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Awoken you hit the nail right on the head there. And that first post by the ph00n was just priceless...

6. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

$5m a day! holy cow thats a lot of money. im sure it would make a dent even in bills pocket, and im damn sure MS would start moving a hell of a lot quicker.

-----

im just stating an opinion below here. if you dont want to read an inflamitory opinion, please move on. if you read it and feel the need to reply, dont bother, i'll ignore you. i have my opinion and you have yours.

[OFF TOPIC] and so totally off topic, it doesnt need a reply, thankyou.

in response to the guy who said microsoft should pull out of europe and leave us all without windows.....

please, i hope and pray for that day, each night before i go to bed i wish for that to become a reality.

then maybe we could, oooh, i dunno, maybe use all our pc's as doorstops, or maybe, just maybe, we could all use a real OS (www.linux.org or one of the other bazillion alternatives to windows these days), or even use an apple....

microsoft pulling out of europe will only do us good. (and no, im not a zealot, i have windows boxes here too. ive seen how an OS should be, i built my own linux, i saw the light.)

[/OFF TOPIC]

7. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Heh... Living fairly close to Redmond myself (about 30 miles... that's... 50 Km), I wish Microsoft would give up empire-building totally and work on their code more. Windows could be a passable OS... But it probably won't be.

Microsoft get out of Europe? Microsoft, either get your act together, or get out of the market. I'm quite pleased with my Linux box. Finally, a real OS.

On a random and unaffiliated note, mclean007, why do you automatically assume that that troll is a Republican?

Just curious here.

8. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

x

Last edited: 25 Oct 2013
  9. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

There are other OS's other then Windows, they wouldn't be OS'less. In fact it would probably force a lot of people to go to linux... which could be a good thing in the long run.

10. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

I'd put $1 down that Bill and the big-wigs aren't worried. That they're sitting there chuckling to themselves thinking "They don't have the balls."
    In the past, Microsoft has been good at fighting these sorts of things... only when they absolutely had to.

11. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Microsoft is probably going to say "make me." They don't care if they violate U.S. monopoly laws, so why should they care if they violate European monopoly law?

And just so you know, that "shared source" thing is junk. It's nowhere near open source. They essentially give very select people a glimpse into the code, and then pretend it's the same thing as open source.

*edited to fix my rather poor grammar*

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i dont think they deserve to be fined simply because there a monopoly. In fact i dont see entirely why its acompoanies fault if they have one. Its like...

MS "we have the best product"
    everyone buys
    Gov "Hnag on, too many people have this now. Your lot have a monopoly, give us lots of money for being illegal"

Though im sure they deserve this one way or another. MS May have good software, but not good business practice afaik. *******s :)

And to that dude in the first page who is banned now.... Dont be an idiot. Should every country in the world pull out of the US it would fall quicker than the berlin wall (once they started pulling it down... and i mean that literally!). To pull out of europe alone would pretty much screw them!

edit: Zidane - were windows to not be sold in europe, it would be great for pc technicians. Teaching everyone to use linux. How to compile your own messenger client program. Learning how to mount stuff would be fun. My dad can hardly use MS Word, and i think he would be a-typical of most of the adult population. It would be a DISASTER if suddenly everyone had to move to linux. Companies having to teach all their staff how to use the new OS, and the new programs which go along with it. I once worked at a large british based company who used MS Excel for ALOT of their business stuffs. Powerpoint presentations send transatlantic would be useless so in the end maybe even the US would have to change to linux. Maybe MS Go under? shame.

Linux is now the no.1 OS, 90% of people use it. No more massive charitable donations from MS, and because linux is open source, people (90% of users) get it free of a friend or the internet. Of course this has HUGE load on the linux servers so they start to charge asmall amount for their trouble. Suddenly bugs start cropping up all over the place! Of course hackers have turned there sharp eyes toward the penguin!

And so on and so forth! It wouldnt be good - maybe those who think no windows in europe havent really considered what there saying ? Windows is an amazing operating system, far larger and more sophisticated than linux. Bugs appear because alot of people use it. Dont let MS's business practices reflect on their good software!

edit2:
    - MS Make virtual PC for mac, so they would have to stop buying PC Products.
    - There are hardly any games made for linux at the moment. Though were it to change, Linux in europe, Windows in America, who would be catered for ? Most o fthe top world pro gamers are european i believe with the majority of major LANs (such as assembly) taking place in europe!

Whats with some peoples dedication to giving linux to the masses ?

Last edited: 22 Mar 2005
  13. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

yes, i know, it would be such a nightmarish situation. but consider.... if he can only just use outlook, then he can only just use epiphany. sure, maybe everyone using linux would be the same as everyone using microsoft, but i'd like to find out. dont get me wrong, i dont hate microsoft, if i were in bills shoe's i'd be doing exactly the same thing, he is ensuring a solid foundation for his companies future. my dedication to giving linux to the masses is not because its free, but because the social order within the linux community is somehting i feel there should be more of in the world. we dont hide out secrets and guard our knowledge, charging you to see something I wrote. we share, not for the benefit of one, but for the benefit of all, and with that sharing, we all gain. but before i go off on a little rant, i said i wasnt going to get into a flamebait war, so im not going to, ive said my peice, and i think this will be the end of it.

unless i do somehting like this....

please excuse me now, i cant type anymore, im too busy laughing my ass off.

wow, after 8 hours of hysterical laughter, its *still* funny that someone would ever actually say that, and mean it.

-----

yes, i know its flamebait, but meh, im a zealot. promise i wont do it again ;)

14. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

I think this is true. Windows is a great OS. The only problem with it is user error. 9 out of 10 problems with the OS aren't MS fault. You got a virus? you should of never downloaded Britney_spears_nude.exe. You got spyware? should of never installed Kazaa. The list goes on. I'm a windows user and I'm proud of it. After i fix someones computer i teach them how to avoid the problem in the future. This way, the chances of having to fix the same problem drop by over 90%.

15. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I think the EU will go through with this... They have had this case running since 2002? and microsoft has reached the end of the line. personaly I think europe should have been more insistant on the removal of Internet explorer from windows... microsoft succesfully apealed on grounds that it was an integral part of the os. A few months latter a hacked version of windows was shown with no internet explorer!

As for pulling out of europe.. that will cost more than 5million a day

as for windows its self I think it's a good os in regards to gaming (probobly because of directX) but if you do anything else not rearly anything you want to use.

16. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Yeah, But some people have trouble learning how to use Linux. :duh:

17. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

I agree. Ive attempted to use Linux in the past and its been nothing but headaches. Took over 4 hours to attempt to change the screen resolution. 3 more hours to attempt to add a second hard drive. never got the video to work right, internet was slow, system felt sluggish, couldn't play games and i felt like yanking the hard drive out and smashing it to pieces.
    Linux = hell.

18. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I know that doctors have bad handwriting but I'm sure they have at least SOME literary skills... ah well, our forums have been once again purified! :D

19. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

In my opinion the way forward is companies/coorporations/individuals sticking to standards, If all web browsers stuck to the HTML standard people would have viable alternatives. As it stands a lot of closed source software create their own sub-standard, so that all who use their files ahve to use their software.
    As a coorporation it seems like a good idea, meaning most revenue from that market ends up in your own pocket. But thats no good for the end user, they then become stuck in this loophole, they have to use a specific piece of software to view a specific file.
    With open standards and all software complying to those very same standards, and not their interpretation of them, the end user then has a viable choice between a variety of software. Which will all work with that one file, read it as the same data and act on it in the same relative way. But coorporations don't want that, because who would pay for software if they could get something that could do the same thing for free.
    Hackers would have a much harder time finding holes in software that would affect the biggest number of victims, unless they find holes in the standard itself.

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

$5 Million a day? That should leave them reeling.

"our investers have noticed a disturbance"
    "really, what's it like?"
    "they say it's akin to a fly biting their portfolios sir"
    "oh, that's just the EU's sanctions"

Besides, why remove all integral MS software from their own package. You dont see car manufacturers that are told to remove the doors on their vehicles because they're giving them too much of an advantage do you?

Tags: Add Tags