1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics How many watts /amps does a 6800gt sli configuration use on 12v rail

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whisp[TR], 22 Mar 2005.

1. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

As the title asks how many watts or amps does a sli setup use on the 12 v rail with 2x 6800gt?

Hoping someone that has a setup can give me some numbers since on the internet I have different numbers all over the place from between 85 to 105 watts just for one card.

How many watts does the 6800gt use?

I asked nvidia but they said they dont support answering that lol.

Edit:

Also what amount of teh watts do you think is being fed from the slot itself and how much from the additional connectros to the cards direct off the psu?

Last edited: 22 Mar 2005
  2. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Watts = voltage * current.

What you wanna know is how much current the card uses. ;) And as to that I have no clue, but if it's using 85W of power it's using just over 7 amps of current. That's a lot of electricity!

3. Whisp[TR]

Yeah I know that.

Thanks though.

I wanted to know exact numbers because i have a range from between 85 and 105 from all over the internet when they are discussing how many watts the card uses.

from that I gather anywhere from 14 to 18 amps for a ual setup of 6800gt on the 12v rail but was hoping to get some more exact number s and where exactly it is drawing the power from in what increments fromthe slot and the onboard power on the card itself that hooks up to the psu.

4. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Well I'm not quite sure but for my 6600GT nVidia recommends a 350W+ quality PSU. So I guess that's an indication. It runs fine on my 350W Q-tec though :hehe: I have no clue about the AGP slot/molex question though. Doesn't the AGP slot only provide 1.5v while higher voltages need to be supplied externally? :confused:

5. Whisp[TR]

well I am talking about a 6800gt on a pci express line so a bit different to what you are doing.

As for your reply to about the slot being 1.5 that made me think hahah.

Im not sure what pci express slot is but i though agp was good up to 75 watts or maybe that was pci express. I cant remember.

The voltage is not a concern or the watts. While knowing both of those will provide an answer i am more concerned to how many amps these cards take all together.

The reason I want to know about where the power is coming from is that I am looking at a thermaltake 680 watt that has three 12 volt rails and each are at 15 amps on those rails.

From my numbers looking at anywhere between 14 and 18 amps non overclocked for a sli 6800 gt setup from what I have seen throughout the web.

Now I am wondering how much actually comes from slot itself on the mobo and how much comes from the plugged in cables direct to the psu. The reason being is that if all that is required from just the power cables on the psu itself I dont see how it can handle it.

As for the psu I am getting the info on how the rails are divided up between all the lines and if the one line which is teh dual pci express connector is sharing its 12v 15 amps with any of the other lines like the molex or sata lines or if its dedicated or how the hell it works hahahaa.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've run a pair of 6800 GT's fine off a Hiper Type R 480W PSU - it has 2 12v lines that are rated at 18A and 16A respectively.

7. Whisp[TR]

Thanks for the info bigz.

Where you able to overclock at all?

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've had two Ultra's on the same setup if that helps.

Tags: