1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Necessary Modding Tools

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Geektechnica, 24 Mar 2005.

1. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

Hello all. I've been doing little mods for a few years, but never anything more than plain vanilla mods. This is mostly due to lack of tools and materials. So recently I've begun gathering a proper tool collection, with the eventual aim of completing a few scratch-built cases.

So I'm looking for suggestions and comments on what things I should get.

Here's what I had before:
    Dremel with flex-shaft & misc. attachments
    Nibbler metal cutter
    50 pack of 9"x11" 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper
    50 pack of 9"x11" 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper
    50 pack of 9"x11" 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper
    3m Fine Cut Rubbing Compound
    Assorted regular handtools (torx drivers, ratchets, hacksaw, most of the standard stuff)
    Molex pin removal tool

What I've gotten recently:
    Cheap but powerful corded drill (with impact drill mode)
    Angle grinder (came with the drill)
    A set of titanium drill bits for drilling metal
    Jigsaw
    Pop Riveter

Things I want to get:
    Air Compressor
    Paint Gun
    Rotary sander/polisher
    Tap & Die set
    80mm Hole Saw
    Needle File set
    Step Drill Bit
    Countersink Bit
    Wire brush (for brushed aluminum, etc)

That is all I can think of at the moment. Unfortunately I am on a very, very, restrictive budget, and will likely be purchasing these items piecemeal as I get the money for them. So that basically rules out large, expensive, power tools, etc. Otherwise I'd love a drill press and a bandsaw.

Anyway, I would appreciate your input as to what I have down here, and what else I should be adding to my list.

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

gotta have a BIG hammer

3. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

I've got two 16oz hammers, one ball pien, the other claw. Not HUGE but big enough.

4. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

if you cant afford a pillar drill you can get a mount for your corded drill that converts it into one and there only around £30
    plus your not going to be working with them 8 hours a day 5 days a week so cheaper power tools will be sutable i find stuff like B&Q brand tools are fine for light diy use.
    i got a set of B&Q needle files for around £5 i think and i've been using them for all sorts of projects for over a year and there still going strong and you can pick up countersink bits for not much money its the same with hole saws i had a catalouge a bit back with a set for not much money. i'll find it out later and post the link

5. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

* If it saves money cut your tap and dies set down to 6-32 and M3. That's what you need most on a computer.
    * If your power drill has adjustable speed try to get an adjustable hole saw to cover 25mm to 120mm. In a hand held drill these saws have to run slowly because they are usually imbalanced.
    * If you want to use the countersink for flat head screws it should be 82 deg.
    * Dial calipers, even the cheaper plastic ones beat a ruler any time.
    * Powered screw driver with bits and an extension shaft.
    * A collection of clamps and straps to hold things down.
    * 100W min. work light with a hook on it so you can put it where you need it.
    * Piece of 3/4" particle board to cover your work surface.

6. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

i have used these before in my press drill, i only had a cheap one it worked fine for plastic and wood but dont try and use it on metal, it only scratched the paint, i had to use my dremel clone to finish it. if you look around you can find a cheap set of hole saws that will do the job, it would be alot better for the metal work, but if you are only using it on plastics and woods they they are ok.

7. Mombassaa

Mombassaa What's a Dremel?

my dad has 2 garages full of stuff, all i do is have a route threw them and see if theres a tool for the job.

if its not there, its probly not made

8. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

sin that doesn't help.... I use my drill press more than any other tool besides a screwdriver probably

I got a craftsman one for around $90 from sears, came with a vice, edge barrier thing, sanding drums and a 3 year warranty. Other than that, sears also has those nifty plexi hole cutters that I used in my project (shameless plug :) down in my sig.

9. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

Thanks all, lots of good suggestions so far.

I think I might bite the bullet and go ahead and get a bench model drillpress.

Also, which is better for getting the brushed aluminum effect, a wire brush bit or a flapwheel?

10. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

flap wheel.

Take it you've got a square within that lot? ;) obviously a very useful tool.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

I would nix the paint gun. You can get just as good of results from careful and planned spray painting :)

A must is a good set of clamps. Try to find the QuikClamp bar-clamp kind've things. They have a trigger/handle thing you squeeze to tighten them, and rubber pads on the end of each thing. They're hard to explain, but they're so very handy.

[​IMG]

12. purepope

purepope Banned

if you go to school u could just use some of the tools there in the man arts class, most teachers will let you use them at lunch(well at my school yes)

13. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

Thankfully I've been out of school for about 4 years now.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and get a nice bench drillpress, maybe a 10" model. It will have to wait until next paycheck, as I need to replace my printer with this one.

After that I'm going to try and collect the rest of the items on my list.

Anyone else have anything to add to the list?

14. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

I picked up a really nice 5 spd drill press that does all the work I need for $30.

Dont forget, just because it doesnt say craftsman, doesnt mean its crap :thumb:

A saw horse or two can be useful, or skyhooks from rafters in the garage, for when painting / drying pieces.

15. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Always can not live without a:

soldering iron, multimeter, good pair of 18-30AWG wire stripper/cutter, and duct tape <-Yes this can used as a tool too. :hehe:

16. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

Yep, I probably should have added that I have these items. I do need a new soldering iron though, the one I have is about 10 years old and was a cheapo model from radio shack. Has lasted surprisingly long though.

17. Zuke

Zuke What's a Dremel?

I would add a pop riveter. I got mine for $5 and its very handy for reassembling cases you drilled apart for whatever reason (painting, sound dampening, accident).

18. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Check his posts, he added one already ;)

Tools for bog work (bondo, as you guys call it) - ie plaster knives/spreaders etc.

A few non-tool things i couldnt do without now

Disposable gloves
    citrus hand cleaner
    citrus spray cleaner

19. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

I think all the tools have been covered by yourself and those replying but I think most would agree that you need to put as much care into thinking about your work area.

Those tools you are going to buy cost you some hard earned dosh so they need keeping safe as does your fingers and eyes - get some protective stuff.

A good solid bench/worktop with perhaps an area with some old carpet on for when you are working on stuff you don't want to scratch. Power points, good light, a bin and a good place to stash biscuits, sweets and stuff :D

20. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

Unfortunately a good workspace is one thing I don't have at the moment. I just don't have the space in the apartment I'm in right now.

I'm currently looking for another place, hopefully then I'll be able to set up a little workshop.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.