1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 Cornered Containment Unit

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by drknow, 3 Nov 2004.

1. tkjode

tkjode What's a Dremel?

Hello all! Since drknow is rather indecisive sometimes, he's had me render some more concepts for the unnamed cube. Here's a link to my image gallery of building this thing and the better renders are below: Cube Renders

The first task was to build the framing to spec:
    [​IMG]

Then drknow wanted to see what the cube would look like with the lian li black brushed aluminum... since I have a Lian Li aluminum case, and a black Shuttle XPC, I figured I could more or less get it to look right, here's the result:
    [​IMG]

And just for showing off and detail, this pic shows the whole deal with the black panels and handle design. I darkened the Y-connector metal to match the case:
    [​IMG]

That's enough thread hijacking for now. Tonight I'll be up late working on applying that flame to the plexi window, and I'm sure drknow will have a billion other ideas to bounce off me.

Cheers,
    Mr.TK

2. drknow

drknow What's a Dremel?

Update nov 23

found a place to have my side panels black anodized and the frame nickel plated. Now I just need to get everything sand/bead blasted so its ready for the plating.

Fitting the motherboard tray last night and tonight, should be ready to go soon. Wasnt happy with the strength of the bottom plate considering the holes likely to be cut in it (alot of them) so I got a thicker plate, 1/8th inch. Shouldnt exhibit too much bend.

Also picked up some U channel with a 3/8" openning. Hoping that will fit my plexi top. Hoping to get a clear piece laser etched then back it with a coloured piece, hopefully the thicknesses will come in near 3/8" total. This U channel will sit inside the case about 1/2" in or so I guess, and so how to top is getting done is now more or less settled. Oh yes, the handles I wanted made cost nearly 400 from the various shops I tried, way too expensive. Too bad xport1 doesnt seem to be doing laser etchings anymore, because now I have to find someplace else.

Saw a good thick sheet of brass at the metal shop (spent about 200 bucks at the damn place) the other day, decided to try to make a sample foot out of it to see if I like it any better.
    Heres a pic.

[​IMG]

3. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Oooooh very nice. I like it. Does brass tarnish?(Thinking it must do or why else would there be BRASS-O) If so, you'd need to clearcoat it after polishing to retain shine.

4. drknow

drknow What's a Dremel?

Well I got my laser etched window from koolpcmods(sp?) today. Can't say I'm terribly impressed, its not bad, but lacks the detail I had hoped for. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

5. 0ri0n

0ri0n What's a Dremel?

The cube is looking awesome :dremel: ! If you're going with the black scetch carbonfibre-look-a-like would be cool, if it's not too expensive. Another idea for the handle could be to put ligts inside it outwards on all (again budget) sides, ccl might be too bright but maybe something like these: Bubbely would look more subtle (I've seen a "plasma"-look lighttube before, but I couldn't find it now).

Again, loving the project :thumb: .

6. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

Looks cool. "the cube" is a good name for the thread.

7. drknow

drknow What's a Dremel?

Well here is a picture of the result of the laser etching. It lacks some of the smaller detail that was in the file I sent out.

Result: [​IMG]

Desired: [​IMG]

8. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

It may apear to lack detail now, but what does it look like lit up (CCFL?)

EDIT: What's an engraving like that cost and how is it done? (laser/hydro/etch/CNC?)

9. Yaik

Yaik What's a Dremel?

10. dj_2004

dj_2004 What's a Dremel?

etching looks same as the drawing to me :eyebrow:

11. drknow

drknow What's a Dremel?

A bit of a thread revival here. Stuff is back from the anodizers and nickel platers and I think they did a pretty good job. So here are two shots of it on my couch in my disasterous basement. Its only semi-assembled so ignore the lopsided bolts and cracks in the corner joints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

sorry I wish I would have known about this thread awhile ago, I would have still done the etch but it still looks good. Id like to know where you got that frame, and if you dont mind me asking, how much for the nickel plating and anodizing? keep it up :)

13. gargoyle00

gargoyle00 What's a Dremel?

I think once you apply some lighting to the window you might get the effect you are looking for.

Keep up the good work project looks great. :clap:

14. drknow

drknow What's a Dremel?

apoogod: I made the frame from myself from aluminum angle. The anodizing was about 4 dollars per part (7 parts, not all shown here), and the nickel plating was ~6.5 dollars per part (12 parts). Prices are Canadian.

15. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

nice work !! and nice etch 2 :rock:

16. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

I built a case kinda like this once.. The problem I ran into was putting the last bolts in when you do the final assembly. (cuase everything is bolted from the inside) I had to tap out the holes eventually. Are you planning as access door or something? Also how's the inside layout gonna be. :) Interesting project, and it looks great so far. :)

17. drknow

drknow What's a Dremel?

devenfore: The tops and bottom of the case are going to be recessed for airflow purposes and will be held in place by the long threaded rods seen in some of the earlier pictures of the feet. So removal is accomplished by loosening the feet and rods with them causing the top to be freed and then lifted right out the top no problem.

18. Visionism

Visionism What's a Dremel?

Looks great so far. One thing I'd be a little concerned about is that handle design. It looks nice but if you pick it up with one hand those nice shiny corners are going to be hitting your legs all the time. Of course if you're only going to pick it up with two hands that won't be an issue.

19. drknow

drknow What's a Dremel?

All the quotes i got for having the handles cnc'd just the way i'd like them on a 5 axis machine were ridiculous and I dont really want to have them welded. So at this time the handles are pretty much out. Also anyone lifting this with just one hand and letting it bang into anything after I've spent dozens of hours polishing the angle aluminum will have bigger things to worry about then banged up shins. Like their impending doom.

20. Death Reaper

Death Reaper What's a Dremel?

Wow...nice models..is this TK guy available for public modelling..for free? :p

I could use a couple models for my mod :p

Regards,