1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors flowmaster muffler install

Discussion in 'General' started by bee2643, 28 Feb 2005.

1. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

hehe, need to do more modding to my truck and have a question
    1998 dodge dakota sport
    im taking the stock muffler out and replacing it with a flowmaster delta40 muffler.
    now i know my stock one is round and this one is oval, and i also know it will fit up there, but one thing i dont know is how it mounts, do i need to purchase anything else to mount it? (aside from the 2.5" hoseclamp dealies)

2. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

that would depend on whether or not there is a hanger on your current muffler or not. looks like a metal hook that hooks onto a rubber block (atleast it has in my experiences, im not a dodge guy) and then that attaches onto the chassis.

i would think flowmaster would give you some kind of advice on installtion. im not sure if your new one will have the hook or not, but if it doesnt chances are that they make a part to make it work.

3. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

lucky for me the hangers are on the tailpipe and the one connecting to the cat.

shitty thing is i can get the pipes to move around on both ends of the muffler but be damned if i can get em off. however i managed to get it off the cat, even with it out from under the truck its still a PIA to get off...
    im sysadmin at a series of auto dealerships :D ill take it into one of the mechanics tomorrow. but for future reference, is there an easier way to do this, lol

4. glennd_05

glennd_05 What's a Dremel?

yeah, a sawzall, just hack the muffler out of there

-glenn

5. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

i'm a brit so i'm not too familiar with the flowmaster brand of exhausts. over here with replacement exhauts back boxes if there designed for the car they usually come all the mounts inplace on the back box and a set of rubbers to hang them from so its just a case of unbolting the back box and taking it out of the old rubbers which can be the hardest part sometimes but WD-40 usually makes it alot easyer. if its a universal* back box then it probably wont have any mounts fitted so you'll have to get them welded on in the right place for your car and these dont always come with rubbers so you either have to use your old ones (which isnt the best thing to do) or buy new ones

*fits feck all

6. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Exactly what glenn said, cut that biznitch off w/a sawzall and then get that flowmaster welded up on there.

7. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

yes, for exhaust work youll probally need to cut the old muffler off.

usually, i just cut a slit in the old muffler with an angle grinder. then it usually pulls off once the tension is released

the heat fueses the old stuff together pretty well, its damn near impossible to get them apart by sliding them

where the 2 pipes meet...

_______|______________
    |_____________________________

works for me, but youll loose your old muffler. if its just pipes where you need to disconnect it you can save it buy hacking off the part you sliced.

Tags: