1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adidas 1 Road Test

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 23 Mar 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

You've probably heard about the Adidas 1 - the trainer with the built in computer that adjusts the running shoe as you walk / run / get mugged for having flashy shoes. Engadget has managed to get it's hands on a pair of the pricey sneakers, and gives them the a (figuratively speaking) damn good thrashing:

First off, these are quite possibly the ugliest shoes we’ve ever worn—no matter how fine they appear in the photos, know that they look far worse in person (we actually preferred the packaging to the shoes themselves). Also note that if you buy the Adidas 1 these will be the first shoes you will over own that come with an instruction manual. We have a strict policy of never even glancing at a manual until something goes wrong, but given our relative inexperience with computer shoes we decided to make an exception this time around.

More, with pics of tennis shoes that wore computers, here ;)

2. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Do we have a smiley being sick? Gagging? Oh well, euuughhhhhh :eyebrow:

3. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Just need to cut a window, install some EL wire and some flashy thing that tells us the temp of the shoe, and I'm sold! :D
    (needs to be blue first)

4. Deimos_Anomaly

Deimos_Anomaly What's a Dremel?

I don't think that they are that bad looking If I had money to burn I'd likely but a pair.

Deimos Anomaly

5. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

;) .

Death

6. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

i already have a pair and have had a pair for a week...they have them in Footlocker in Newcastle and i love them TBH but oh well personal opinion i guess, Ice

7. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

The world's first intelligent shoe? I'm still waiting for the world's first intelligent marketing campaign (i.e. One that doesn't insult people's intelligence).

And what is it with web-based marketing and appalling Flash presentations? Over a megabyte with no skip option, hogging the whole screen, and far from giving a detail setting option in their own interface, they've even removed those options from the default context menu. Why Macromedia ever made that an option I'll never understand.

The shoes look OK to me but then I do my best to avoid obvious branding on my clothing so I'd never buy anything like this. Self-sdjusting shoes seem a bit like overkill though. I wonder how, how much and how fast they can adjust; I couldn't be bothered sitting through enough of their crappy "edgy" presentation to find out.

Nezuji :)

8. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Yea, I sat thorugh it, I would never spend that much on joggers, but I dont think they look that bad, just like a gimicky pair of shoes. As for the website, ever been to the fusion site? http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

much they cost as i quite like them? also where in newcastle are you?

10. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

im in Durham and they were £130, Ice

11. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

/me looks at bank balance.... you mean some people have that much money and are willing to burn it like that?

i dont see the point tbh, far too expensive and ott for something thats essentially just to cover your feet

12. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I'd be interested to know just how much they can bend.... If they're small and light enough to fit inside a shoe with minimal power requirements, the force exerted by it must be tiny. Gimmick pure and simple. Ah well, at least sports associations have something new to ban in professional competition.

13. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

It's called having a decent paying full time job...

Tags: Add Tags