1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless Network...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PilchY, 30 Mar 2005.

1. PilchY

PilchY Minimodder

Looking at doing a wireless network in my house, and the one thing i am stumped at is being caused by a printer...

I want to be able to print off this printer which is in the other room. If i get an access point, can i do this and still connect the computer up aswell? Or does it go access point - PC - printer?

Any idea's of way's around so i can get access to the printer 24/7? It is a lexmark 1150 for reference...

Karl.

2. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

You've got two options really, pay through the nose and get a wireless print server (with USB support for your printer), which will give you 24/7 access to said printer without needing a host PC.

Or you can go the cheap route, and have the printer connected to a PC, and the PC connected to the wireless network, and then sharing the printer. You can still have 24/7 access to the printer, but the host PC always needs to be on.

edit: Some examples of wireless print servers

Last edited: 30 Mar 2005
  3. PilchY

PilchY Minimodder

cheers dude... guess it will have to connect to the computer for now... dont wanna go spending too much money at one time... especially being as it is my mum's cash :D

4. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

you dont always have it use a wireless one. you can buy a wired print server. i have a few and they are just as great as the wireless ones.

5. camel

camel What's a Dremel?

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You can get printers that connect directly to the network. But the easiest option is to connect it to a computer - a server or something? and share it.

7. camel

camel What's a Dremel?

yeah but if you use a server it would always have to be on for you to be able to print from any other device

and given that you can get the integrated router/printrserver for about GBP50 that still gets my vote personally (just as well seeing as it's what Ive got :)

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you're using an access point, it should have a 4-port hub in it already, so you can buy a nice, cheap wired print server, connect it to that, and you should be able to use it from the wireless network, as they very often bridge the two together. :)

Tags: