1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Joining Alu -help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DickH, 9 Apr 2005.

1. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

What is the best way to secure two pieces of 1mm thick Aluminum? Im making a case and need to join the front to the sides, and it has to be clean (no rivets) I want to join aluminum at a corner and have one end extend about 1.5cm in case I need it. What would be a good adhesive? It needs to be crazy strong and be strong enough to hold some weight.

2. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

How about doing a 45 corner there?
    Or you'll just have to weld it... :rolleyes:

3. padair

padair Inebriated

Try some Gripfill, I use it to hold on the castors on the bottom of my case

4. mUrml

mUrml What's a Dremel?

Cut a small piece of other aluminum, and use a strong glue. Such as epoxy or something similar, ask in your local hardware store (not hardware like in computer components :worried: ). They should be able to help you.

The align the two pieces of sheets together and use small pieces of aluminum on the back side and glue them to gether. Hope you follow my idea?
    Otherwise I shall draw you a picture :naughty:

5. mikehotel

mikehotel What's a Dremel?

JB weld will work man, just let it dry overnight in the vise, or clamps. Make sure your joints are flush and clean, the 45 degree angle will help with structural strenght

6. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

Use silver or aluminum loaded epoxy. You will need some surface to make the joint. If you have the space get an angle profile and put it on the inside or outside. On the outside it saves you the trouble of getting the edges of the panels all perfect.

If you use something with grooves like http://www.mcmaster.com item 8427A5 you could keep the panels removable. Put some weather strip on the side wall of the groove if the panel isn't thick enough.

7. daz_uk30

daz_uk30 What's a Dremel?

not sure what its called over there but i think "chemical metal" should do the trick

8. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

I have something like 4-5ft of angled aluminum, but I cant use that. The faceplate is curved and It doesnt make a 90 corner. by the time I paint it, I need it to look as if it was one solid piece, and I would like it to hold almost as if it was. Im looking for some sort of adhesive of a sort. What is the strongest adhesive to use for joining aluminum?

9. Appatula

Appatula What's a Dremel?

try Alumi-loy theres info here: http://www.aluminumrepair.com/ you can get it pretty cheap on ebay just look for "aluminum weld" ect. works pretty good if your looking for a spotless repair that can be done using a regular propane torch.
    -Appatula

10. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

I am getting a thumbs up for JB weld by some friends, I haven't personally used it, does it hold well?

11. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

I don't like joining anything with adhesive or solder that's going to be taking a bit of weight, but if you absolutely can't get access to a TIG welder and someone that knows how to use it I reccomend that Alumi-loy stuff. I've fixed a minibike engine cover with it and used it in my Lian-Li PC-60 for a bit of modding and it worked extremely well, you just have to remember that it's only soldered and so can't take a whole lot of force.