1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project SweDance - Dancingstage arcademachine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SvampSoppa, 3 May 2005.

1. SvampSoppa

SvampSoppa What's a Dremel?

Atlast me and my friends are finaly getting started with our little project: building a dancemachine like the ones in the big arcades, all for Dancingstage and/or Stepmania :hip:
    The history behind this project is that in the senior stage of hige school (3-ring in sweden) you have a project which you compleat over a year I think. So this year, the comp geeks in 3-rign made a ugly machine and showed it to the world durring a openhouse day. We thought, well they sucked and made our own plans. So now we are on the way :D

Ill put the plans online soon

Its the most simple design cus of our moneyshortage. We are using a plywood board for the bottompart and the topsquares. The most expensive part will be the microswitches which we will have about 4/direction (4*4 = 16). The ms will be places in every corner for the most aqurate result. To make the squares bounce back we will use O-rings (dono the english word), the ones you use to seal between pipes in your bathroom for exampel. The O-rings becomes flat while under pessure and returnes to their old shape when you move away. To connect the machine to the PS2 we will use a slaughterd controll and just extend the cabels.

We havent yet figured out where to place the X, O, square, triangle, select and start button but they will probobly be placed on the side.

Cus of the fact that Im a bit of a modding geek and this time i wont ruin my comp, Ill and some fun things like Leds and plexiglas.

Feel free to come up with ideas!

To get a idea of how the arcades look: check this out
    [​IMG]

Svampsoppa Inc*

2. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

Dont you need to post pics for it to be considered a project log.

Also arent microswicthes gonna be a bit to sensitive ?

3. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Excelent!!! I've been waiting for someone to come up with a DDR type PC, Good luck, you have my attention!!!

4. SvampSoppa

Krunk: The pics are commin up today, we havent got the cam working yet but dont worry, they will be up later. The microswictches will be just right, Ive seen some other working dancinmats and they are using ms(not the real arcades, they use alot of smal sensors).

G4m3R: Great! 8D hope youll enjoy it

5. BrokeEnthusiast

BrokeEnthusiast What's a Dremel?

Is it going to be only for DDR?

6. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

You beat me to it you jerk! Anyways, this should be very cool and a good point of reference for my plans. Can't wait.

7. SvampSoppa

Ok now we have made some progress, not much but still :thumb:

Its going to be made of a psone control so it will work with the dancing games on ps2 and, with a adapter, any on the pc

But now lets get goin:
    [​IMG]
    A bad shot of the plans

[​IMG]
    Our tools (we smacked down probably half the toollocker into that box :hehe: )

[​IMG]
    After some cutting the inner frame was taking shape, there are still some parts to go

[​IMG]
    OMG what a framework ... or not

[​IMG]
    NY in smal size and wood?

[​IMG]
    A smal lunch break with some WoW

[​IMG]
    Goin downtown gettin some stuf

[​IMG]
    Stockholm Mall (Gallerian)

[​IMG]
    K so we finaly got back with some parts and got going building the frame, is in a nice bend or what?

[​IMG]
    Allmost done with the outer square

[​IMG]
    My geek friend Sofia in action :D

Ill be gone untill saturday so no more work untill then

Btw downtown we allso bought a microswitch, like this one
    [​IMG]

8. SvampSoppa

Camera is on its way home but we have made some more progress today
    Tomorrow we will go get some wires and other fun things. We will allso try to get the framework together

coment on the work 8)

9. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Girl modder alert! Everybody watch out!
    You're being outsexxxxxified!!!!!

:rock:

That thing has to be quite hard and tough, I mean, people are dancing on it right?

(Doesn't really get's the idea of Dancing in front of screen mimicking your moves for a game usually based on 'doing what the guy onscreen does' or 'hit the fruit'. But Hey, I don't even get Gyms. I go to work? :eyebrow: )

Anyhow, those things in the arcade hall must cost a fortune, if you however succeed building this. Maybe some people wil follow your example and Stepmania will rock worldwide! :thumb:

GL

10. wickyman

wickyman What's a Dremel?

Wicked cool! I just recently bought the mats made from the nylon stuff! They arent bad, but need a wood base velcroed to them to keep them from sliding too much. :D I too am a major geek! ALREADY IMPROVING STORE BOUGHTS! lol I have stepmania. Great game! But I need the usb to playstation 2 adapters... :( Then, I will be uber geekin' it up at home, just layin down some uber steps with friends! GL Guys!

11. Huzbe

Huzbe What's a Dremel?

Yo, I'm Svampsoppa's geek friend Sofia ;)

Wickyman:
    Get EMS Dual Shooter USB II Adapter if you want to rock on your mats with stepmania. It's one of the best, and the one I'm using. Great stuff :D