1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think I'll get the job?

Discussion in 'General' started by Adam, 27 May 2002.

1. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Applied for a job at International Christian Communications here in Eastbourne, as IT co-ordinator (networking, internal email management, website (procurement of contracts with web designers + hosting etc). All they could tell me when I phoned was that it was worth my while filling out an application, so I did but I was wondering if any of you have any idea what my chances would be?

I'm a school leaver with GCSEs, will have Comptia A+ in a few days, have 3 years experience with freelance on-site computer maintenance (corporate and private), also company Director of small IT firm currently.

Have any of you got jobs like that with the same qualifications? If not, what can I expect to get?

2. Jaz

Jaz Banned

youre 15 right? (sorry if i'm wrong, i think i read it somewhere).

ok well if youre working with ppl older than youwho are either below you or above you. do you think they will really seriously take much notice of you. maybe they will, but honestly not. especially any 3rd party.

first ask yourself have you got experience of Exchange 2000, IIS (or Apache, serious experience) or other similar areas.

My advice is to goto college, or do Alevels, get some experience maybe in helping the IT dudes at college/skool, then do a HND.

i fear your chances unlikely, but please suprise me and give me hope for when i flunk college and need to find a job in IT

3. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Thanks for your comments, I didn't think I stood much of a chance of getting THAT job, but I know I couldn't handle 2 more years at college, and it would be a total waste of my time as I would come out with nothing more than I went in with.

I am 16 on the 5th;

I did help out a lot with the IT at school but I didn't think that was notable enough to be put on my application form;

They don't use Exchange or IIS or Apache, according to the job description all I have to do is admin Novell accounts, source and install computer equipment, design networks, run the email system etc, all of which I have extensive experience of. I also have to admin a simple HTML website, their other sites all have outside designers, who I will have to liase with but not do any of the work myself;

As for older people taking notice of me, I doubt that the company has any other IT guys working for them as they only have small premises, and I am confident in my approach to computer service which I find makes people respect me more, it also helps that I look around 21 (i have been told).

Sorry if I just bored some people to tears :D

4. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i think it'd depend on the other applicants... if you gave me the choice of someone your age and someone older with the same qualifications (or even better having a levels or a diploma/degree) then i would always choose the older. As jaz said they're gonna expect you to deal with older contractors and staff... i wouldn't take a 15 year old seriously if it was me.... hell i wouldn't even take someone my age seriously.
    It might be a bit far fetched but i wish you luck anyway :)

5. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Well good luck mate and keep us imformed if you get it :)

6. Fletch

Fletch What's a Dremel?

hay Adam, im not being funny but at 15/16 you still have soooooo much time left to get into the career you want. I hope you get the job but if you dont, it really doesnt matter.
    Do A levels, goto college/university and enjoy yourself. You'll get there soon enough :D

7. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Thanks for your comments, the thing is I didn't really want to go to college/uni as I got so sick of school at the end I didn't even turn up for the last couple of months.

I have applied for a few jobs now, but in case I don't get one that I like I have also spoken to Park College in Eastbourne who say that I can still apply to go there in September, where I will probably do A level computing and continue my freelance computer repairs to make some money.

8. dwace

dwace What's a Dremel?

16?

Best wishes to you then, If you do get the job continue in your studies.

Your Chances??? Flip a coin and those are the same chances you'll get the job. 50/50:sigh: :lol:

9. :: Dugy ::

:: Dugy :: Turkey

IMO you'd be much better off carrying on with your education, maybe even thinking of a degree in a few years time ? that way when you come out of it you will have the potential to earn alot more money

anyways, good luck :)