1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official New Design Thread

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by :: kna ::, 2 May 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I love that design it looks great. I vote that Bit-tech should change to that.

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

That's pretty nice, although I can't see bit-tech changing to that considering all the work they put into the current site.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Nice work there - the buttons look nice.

However, maybe this is me being grumpy, but I think that while the buttons that you've included are nice, they look out of place and draw more attention to them than the content underneath it. :(

4. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Those button DO look nice, however the reason we went for the current "boxy" buttons is because they are pure HTML / CSS, meaning they are as fast as possible. IMO there's nothing worse than a site which you have to watch assemble itself every time you load it.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yes they are nice, but the remainder of the site is 2d, so they look out of place.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have another small suggestion:

Those icons beside each thread wich shows if there is any new posts or if you have posted could be better. I'm thinking about the icon wich shows that there is a thread that you have posted in AND that there is new posts in. That little arrowthingy doesn't show wery well. (barely at all). That arrow should be on top of the bit-tech logo... not under it.

(man, i suck at explaining things. :duh: )

7. quack

quack Minimodder

The icons are being worked on, as has been mentioned a few times already in the thread. We're going to have to wait and see what is pulled out of the hat on this one. :D

8. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Hell, im on 2mb and i STILL have to watch the site assemble itself from a full cache flush reload, so i know what you mean :)

However, ignoring the gradient - the corners + stroke on the edges are what makes it work; it the gradient that makes it too 'strong'. I actually posted this in the 'waking up to a new world' discussion thread, with a bit more explanation (ie, i dont like the gradient, its too powerful etc etc)
    My opinion is that its less distracting than the buttons that are there currently though - believe me, i dont go redesigning sites for the fun of it, the buttons are all i honestly notice when I come here; even a colour change would be nice, its just too 'strong'.

The differences i made -

Aligned the buttons with the article pad in
    Changed the turquoise colour
    Changed the shape of the buttons slightly
    Most importantly, DESATURATED the buttons significantly
    re-aligned the top logo
    Put white behind the buttons and offset them from the page slightly.

The buttons shouldnt be any more than 3-5k each - anyone on a semi-decent net connection wont really notice any speed problems. As long as the buttons cache, and the rollovers for the buttons are set to load on page load, they'd only load once anyway.

I love the idea of what you've done (it works really well in practice) but just a few little colour/alignment/aethestic changes would make the world of difference; as I said, i was just hoping for a very slight redesign, and im definitely not wanting you to take my design and just use it as it is.

Food for thought, im not trying to jam a kebab down your throats :D

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Like the new forums, didn't at first but I got used to it, so congrats to the hard work involved in changing in, however I got one suggestion - Get rid of the google ad, tbh I think only tatty websites should have the google ads, they look outdated and don't really go with the modern style of these forums, or the site as a whole actually.

10. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

just from looking a a page or two i agree with these people

well just to sum up what i think...

ok the forums look good if you change the blue to something or grey/creamy kinda colour's... also the blue square buttons and quote stuff looks stupid... the add's bit looks bad but i don't mind have the add's across the top and everything else looks good... *minus a few small changes...

*sorry if it seems harsh*

11. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

ad some grey to all the colors.

12. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I think the general consensus is you shouldn't fix it if it's not broken . . .

:rolleyes:

13. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

14. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I think the point of the redesign was that it was about to break. The bit-tech staff probably didn't just redesign for the hell of it, there must have been good reasons for them spending hours coding a new site.

15. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Well, I think this thread has served its purpose.

For those still 'naysaying' this far down the thread I suggest you read the majority of our previous responses, the thread I posted about our recent changes and Wil's column about why they were done. We HAVE responded to all these issues already.

There may be a few more cosmetic tweaks to come over the following weeks (Including forum icons), however we're happy now that we've accomdated most of the major issues and that we're hearing nothing new which hasn't been addressed.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.