1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Change partition number/name after format?

Discussion in 'Software' started by coil, 3 May 2005.

1. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

Alright,
    My previously installed copy of WindowsXP Pro identified a partition on my first hard drive as "C:", and ran from it.

I've just formatted that partition in a long overdue attempt to re-install XP, but the Windows installer insists on identifying that partition as "E:" and calls it "Partition 2" on the disk. While Windows will install to that partition, I'd much rather have my system files running from a drive called "C:".

Is there a utility or method that can rename that partition either directly on my disk or just for the Windows installer?

I'm posting this from my roommate's computer; he'll keep an eye on it. Mine, of course, is fairly non-functional.

Thanks in advance!

2. Teek5449

Teek5449 What's a Dremel?

In XP Pro you can assing drive letters. Start -> run -> type "compmgmt.msc" -> Disk Management -> Right click on the drive you want to change -> "change drive letter and path"

3. mhod42

mhod42 What's a Dremel?

I think you'll find you can't change a boot drive letter ine windows xp using that tool. I think there might be a reg hack you can do to change it though.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Did you format it as a bootable system partition? format /s

If not, you can try again, but first, boot from a floppy, see if you can log onto C: and check it's empty.

Tags: