1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bit Torrent wipes out it's tracks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 19 May 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

2. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

Good for users who are interested in distributing files with their friends directly, but REALLY bad for the BitTorrent community as a whole. Maintaining stats ensures that everyone is contributing and trying to upload as much as they download. Without tracking, there are no repercussions to hopping off a torrent as soon as it's finished, since no one will know that you leeched the entire file.

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hmmm...can't say as I use the good ol' BitTorrent that much, but this seems like a bad plan. I mean, getting more content out there is good and all, but the tech barrier almost made sure you knew what you were doing before publishing a torrent. To me, that was a wise idea...now every numbnuts in the world can throw anything together, meaning we're about to get a whole lot more JUNK.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah but the MPAA can't shut down sites that contain one inappropriate torrent file, even if by mistake, while legitimately hosting thousands of others.

5. quack

quack Minimodder

"its" not "it's"!!

its is possessive, it's is a contraction of it is.

</grammar nazi>

:D

6. RTT

RTT #parp

This surely messes up the entire concept of BT? The central tracker orientation is what makes BT so damn effective...

As someone on slashdot pointed out, non centralized BT makes for another eMule clone.

7. quack

quack Minimodder

Azureus has that decentralised tracker thingy... which apparently some torrent sites have taken a severe disliking to.

8. advance

advance What's a Dremel?

Excatly.. :wallbash:

I'm not to happy about this..

Tags: Add Tags