1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Tv Tuner card with fm radio is it possible to modify to unlock radio frequency

Discussion in 'Modding' started by windowsjunkie, 25 May 2005.

1. windowsjunkie

windowsjunkie What's a Dremel?

Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read this, i have a standard wdm tv tuner card with built in fm radio, the radio and tv card work fine as they should, i wondered if it was possible to unlock the radio, currently it can only go to the frequencys like a normal radio but the manufacter probably locked it i wondered is it possible to unlock this kind of card so i can listen to other radio, e.g. police radio, air craft, or cordless phones (my own), i just like have an interest in those kinds of things for a bit of fun any help would be gratefully appreciated. I am a noob to circuits and electronics and know almost nothing about electronics in to much depth so please try and keep erm well if you have any solutions easy enough for me to understand thanx once again for reading this.

Last edited: 25 May 2005
  2. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

no. while the controller chip may be "locked", the manufactures only include the components for the intended market. even if you "unlocked" the micro, the hardware to receive the other frequencies would not be there. you would need to figure out the values of the new components, unsolder all the 87-105mhz components and solder in the new ones.

basically: no.

3. windowsjunkie

erm well wud it be possible to work out wot i need to solder is there any other way to do it? surely there must be some way? is there anything else cool that i can do with my tv tuner card?

Last edited: 25 May 2005
  4. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

You could cover it with gas and set light to it ;)

There's not much a TVFM tuner can do, I suggest you buy a nice old scan radio which shouldn't set you back by more than €100 and then you can listen to all the cops and air traffic controllers and whatnot.

5. windowsjunkie

haha very funny and i aint rich i usually have very little money hahaha ahh well guess i got no other choice any good tuners tht plug into pc tho so i can listen through my pc?

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

7. windowsjunkie

woo thanks guys :D