1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Help with first watercooling project.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sLyDe, 4 Jun 2002.

1. sLyDe

sLyDe What's a Dremel?

Howdy. :) This is my first post on the Bit-Tech forums but i have been a frequent visiter of here for quite a while. I come to you lot asking advice on my first attempt at water cooling.

I have read many articles but i thought i would run it past you guys so you advise me on any rights and wrongs that you can see in my plan.

I am planning on watercooling a Socket A system. I want to try and keep the components enclosed in the case. I know its gonna be a tight fit as I want to fit it into my Lian Li PC 61.

I am going with the 3/8 (10mm?) type fittings as i'm hoping to use the blocks from www.aqua-computer.de

These are the components i am planning on using.

Aqua-computers Socket A Water block
    Aqua-computers Chipset Water block
    Aqua-computers GF4 Water block
    Aqua-computers Aqua-Tube resevoir
    Eheim 1048 Water pump
    OCPC Neptune "The Deep" Radiator
    120mm Panaflow 108cfm Fan
    Nessacary Tubing fittings Liquids etc.

I have drawed a little Diagram of how i am planning on setting up my equipment in the case.

[​IMG]

Can anyone see any problems with this layout, especially the res as i am still a bit confused on this as the res will be acting as an airtrap and as i understand the airtrap has to be in the highest point in the system?

I would be greatful for any advice you peeps have.

2. DreXeL

DreXeL What's a Dremel?

I'm going to be starting my first h2o project soon, so I'm a bit of a newb also, but from what I've read both on here and in various guides it looks all good. I'm sure someone who is more experienced in water may be able to tell you more, but it all looks ok too me.

3. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Hi sLyDe..welcome to the BT forums! We have alot of guys here with h2o knowledge here, so your in good hands..The case might be a tight fit (depends if you have alot of stuff to put in). PSDL did a nice install with the aqua-computer.de stuff:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8783

And yes the airtrap has to be the highest in your system (airpockets are bad for an h2o setup so the airtrap continuously bleeds the system of air). Eheim 1048 might be a bit underpowered for 3 waterblocks..maybe move up to a 1250? Looks like it should be a nice setup..good luck!

....and watch out for my new h2o project....coming soon.....:D :D

4. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

That is a nice collection og bits you are building there. Yes you doo need the res at the top for it to work as an airtrap. The german systems are not high flow systems like the yanks. Bigger is not always better, as gemini said to DD:lol: A 1250 pump with such a restrictive bore might just give you a **** load of problems - aqua comps are from germany as is eheim so I guess they went for the 600lph pump for exactly that reason.

Post pictures when done :D

Just make sure you get the 3/8" fittings as you should try to keep your flow universal.

5. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

talking bout bleeding air from the res i'm trying to do air bubbles like the one in fish tanks ion my res it's a 40-50cm plexiglass tube 5cm diameter i'm currently planning it rite now and i saw to fix a small hose bout 1-2 cm from the bottom and putting in an air pump for the bubbles but what i wanna know can the bubbles get into the system??? or it doesn't matter

6. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Hey Titch..do you think the backpressure(with a 1250) would be that excessive for his setup? I just noticed that they are using tiny hoses..what size are they?

7. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

They use a lot of 10mm (3/8") OD in the german pickies I see. There was a debate about this on procooling (the findings of amdmb support this) about getting the correct ballance. With the 1250 pump on smaller bores it has been noted that the pump runs hot. This indicates problems with back pressure as too much water tries to get down small tubing. It causes like a logjam making slower water moving faster as there is less friction and backpressure. It is however one which falls under Mat*sters catagories of beeing untested and ruled by assumpts. Though it does make sence and is based on some peeps experience.

With regards to having an airator in your res, not good idea. If bubbles get to your impeller it can cause a blockage and stop your water flow. If it gets stuck in your block - goodbye CPU.

8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

air in cooling loop = loss of themral conductivity.......
    would be better to use 12mm tubing with 12mm barbs.......
    Welcome to bit tech

Tags: