Electronics Soldering irons..?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kbn, 28 May 2005.

1. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Ive decided to get a new soldering iron becuase the tips are all worn out on my gas powered one and my cheap mains one is very crappy..

I'd like one thats capable of doing SMD stuff, like soldering very small chips. I assume for that I just need one with adjustable temperature and a 0.5mm tip (or smaller?)

I would also like a low voltage (pref. 12v) one so that I can make a simple regulator circuit to vary the wattage/temperature.
    Or a mains one with temperature control of some kind would do..

This one looks really cheap, is it any good? - I cant find any info on which bits are avaiable or anything.. and I dont really like ordering from maplin.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35016&TabID=1&source=1&doy=28m5

Theres the CS/XS versions at rapidelectronics and the bits are not expensive..

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/r...CAT_CODE=30449&STK_PROD_CODE=M70891&XPAGENO=1

Unfortunatly theres no 12v version of the XS, so itd have to be 24v.. which meas getting a psu for it :(
    Rapid also dont sell suitable 24v psu's any cheaper than £15 :(

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've heard mainly bad comments about that £10 station you link. It may be yellow but it's not an Antex. You get what you pay for. :miffed:

The Antex irons are good value and there are several different bits for each. And there's a 12V one. :thumb:

3. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

I thought the one I linked was too cheap. The fact that it doesnt say the size or even the type of the bits was the main reson I wont be getting it..

Maplin is the price that rapid have it for - and rapid also have free postage untill tuesday morning.. :(

Anywhere else in the uk stock them?

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

For smd, how about a hot air nozzle for your gas powered iron? still doesnt help you with larger stuff, but it may be better for smd.

5. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Are hot air nozzles good for soldering SMD stuff with? I thought they were only used for heatshrink etc..? (for which I use the blowtorch tip).

Not sure if I should get a mains iron now, as the tip temp of 360+ seems a bit high for working with IC's... but Im not paying 3x more for a simple themocouple/control circuit :(

Also whats the difference between antex tips for different irons? Will they fit in?
    Just wondering becuase the thermal characteristics wont matter much as I wont be running it at full power..
    Id like to get the 12v XS 25w but also might want to use 0.25mm bit.

Last edited: 29 May 2005
  6. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Weller. Theyre good, we use em at work.

7. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Not sure about your budget - but last year I spent a good deal of time researching and trying out soldering irons - and eventually I settled on the Hakko 936-12, which cost me about $80 or so (I think that's about 40 pounds). Weller makes some nice irons too - specifically I like the WES51 for a good budget iron. I still prefer the Hakko though - but the difference between them is minimal. I've seen alot of reccomendations for the WLC100 - but I got stuck using one of those at work for a bit and I was not a fan at all. I'd rather the Radioshack 15/30W iron over one of those. But if you can afford it - get the Hakko. Great iron.

8. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

If we are talking Weller, stay away from their red/orange series, that is a budget system for consumers. The stations may work, but the soldering tips suck, they are basically made to oxidize away.

Get a Weller out of any light blue series, those tips are iron plated and will last at least a few years.

9. Sveneric

Sveneric What's a Dremel?

I've been using Antex irons for over 15 years, would recommend them. http://www.antex.co.uk/ Weller are a good choice too.

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The bits slide on so you need the right bore size for the iron model heater diameter. CS bits won't fit XS irons, but both have a wide range, just not from Maplin these days. Check the Rapid list.

But if that 12V iron comes with the #51 bit it means it will take any other XS bit.

11. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

i like my RS 547-565 (50W) temp controlled iron, no base station but it has a preset in the iron you twiddle with a screwdriver to adjust. Heats up in about 30 secs and is very effective. Found it in a building we were demolishing... just stuck a plug on it and it is my best yet! now obsolite though...

12. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

My 12v antex cs18w arrived today with the 0.5mm bit I ordered.

I made a quick lm338T regulator circuit, and used a thermocouple to get some temp readings which should give me a resonably accurate idea what voltage gives what temp etc.. I will have to find some use for my spare pic12f675.. - is there any way to read a K type thermocouple with them or is the ADC not sensitive enough? I dont really know much about thermocouples but I assume you just read a very very tiny voltage from them..?

Also does anyone know where I can buy some flux-less solder? I really hate flux, and always apply it to the joint first so its really not needed and also really annoys me :(