1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project : LANTX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZuNe, 2 Jun 2005.

1. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

This project was originally posted here

It isn't finished however, and so I shall also post all the information and updates so far onto bit-tech. (without all the spam from kustom) ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all !

Now, I had always planned to create this case from scratch, using wood. But then today something caught my eye. While in year 8 I made a wooden box in D.T.
    This box had been sitting beneath my TV for 3 years, housing my money etc... I cant beleive I hadn't realised it before!

I quickly emptied it and sat it on my desk, did a few measurements, and sure enough, it was absolutely perfect size ! It literally is exactly what I was looking for....

I will now be using this simple box for my new project - LANTX...

heres some pics of the box, untouched..as yet hehehe :dremel:

(by the end it should look very different, so don't worry)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

This is a general pic, you can see the shape of the box. Ignore the fact that the sides look different shades, It's due to the lighting.
    [​IMG]

This is so you can see what the layout of the inside looks like
    [​IMG]

This one is so you can get a better idea of how big it is, in relation to my Zboard... and also my computer chair
    [​IMG]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

That's it for now folks, But there's more to come shortly.

hope the pics aren't too big. I can resize if needs be.

All comments, opinions, suggestions etc welcome

cheers.

2. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

here is a layout of the inside again, but with where compenents will be located etc...

sorry, It's very rough, took me bout 5 seconds

[​IMG]

*also there may be a window on the top of the case too possibly, but i havent quite decided yet....*

3. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

Here comes a small update, (no box cutting up as yet)

More of that to come soon (school holidays) hehehehe

Anyway, I took the day off of school today , So i got on with some testing for my project, of course!

well, I ran into some trouble, and also some unexpected miss-calculations

First of which being how little clearance there is for the PSU.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~--~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

As you can see from this picture. The PSU casing touches the wood...It is an extremely tight fit. A picture tells a thousand words.. \/-\/
    [​IMG]

There is no clearance what so ever between the casing and the wood, will this be a problem? Will it get too hot? maybe i could run it for a while and find out O well..

I also put my motherboard in the box, which fits as I had expected.
    [​IMG]

(and don't worry about the state of my PSU.It will be repainted, and hopefully won't flake this time) grrr

Also I polished up my HDD a little..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

O well, that's it for today. I will start marking out cuts etc. To be cut within the next few days (hopefully).

I'd like to know what you think about the PSU being a very tight fit, and wether or not it might be a problem. I felt it just now (computer's been on for about 2 hours) and the PSU casing isn't hot to the touch. I dont *think* it'll be much of problem, but I'd like some other (possibly more experienced) peoples input.

cheers

4. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

UPDATE! as promised...

Well, I finally got round to cutting the box up, I won't bore you with all the details. So here are the pics

Also, tools/equipment used :

* jigsaw
    * sandpaper
    * polyfiller
    * Elbow grease :p

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

[​IMG]

^Here is the cut box after having been sanded down roughly to get rid of the splinters etc..

[​IMG]

^That's the filler we used.

[​IMG]

^My mate helping me fill it in

And that's how we've left it. The pollyfiller is currently drying, and will be sanded down to the correct size later on.

So that is the 2 sides cut now, the top I have left uncut, and the front I shall cut when I get back home, as I need to know exactly where the drives will be located on the front panel before I can cut it

cheers

5. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

So. A small update. Painted HDD 'cage', well the brackets that will hold the HDD in place. Sprayed in that orange.

well, enough of my blabbing..

Here are the pics.

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

More to come fairly soon I hope. I will not give you an exact date, 'cos I know I won't stick to it

6. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

Here is some shots of the motherboard tray in production

Here is my weapon of choice

[​IMG]

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

here is the wood cut, but with no 'mounting holes' yet.

[​IMG]

Here is my dog, she watched the cutting, and was scared of the drill.

[​IMG]

Finished board, with holes and all the mother board mounting screw securely in place

[​IMG]

My motherboard mounted

[​IMG]

So you can get an idea of how thick it is.

[​IMG]

More updates to come soon hopefully, stay tuned

cheers

7. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

looking good can't wait to see how it turns out

8. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

What are the system specs. Cause if i c right that is like a pentium 4 maybe 1.5 to 2.2 (seeing the board and how it has no NIC built in). Is that the true stuff you are putting in there or just test parts. OH and what is up with all the colors on the Heatsink.

Anyways nice idea hope to get some cool ideas seeing as im doing a wood pc right now and need some ideas.

9. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

looking good!
    what colour scheme you going for?! black would suit it pretty well! a matt black finish, or a glossy. with perhaps white lighting! spot on!!
    how you gna manage the wiring? a hole through that plate that the psu sits on, should make way for the ATX and the 12V connector!!
    have fun!

10. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

Forget paint, stain and varnish the wood for extra classiness.

Where are the fans located on that PSU? I have some ideas for how you can make sure it won't overheat.

11. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

@ infered101.

Yes. Those are the real compenants (apart from the PSU as it appears to have broken :wallbash: Nevermind, I'll be buying a new one :D

I am just moving EVERYTHING over from my current PC into this box, no new compenants (-PSU)

Specs are; and will be..

p4 2.4 Ghz
    512 RAM
    120GB Seagate barracuda HDD
    PSU = [unknown] atm

I have also got myself a Laptop CD/DVD Drive (and converter) as this will obviously take up far less space. (also that's not paint on the heatsink. I sprayed my CPU fan orange... If that was what you were reffering to..
    (didn't come out as well as I had hoped. I might end up spraying it again)

@ Bixie + Master Ninja

It will definetely be painted black on the outside :thumb:

I'm not sure what to do with the inside.
    Colour theme is chrome/orange inside (for compenants/wires)
    Black outside (slightly glossy, not overly shiney though)

(chrome braided wires for wire managment)

I'll work out possible routes for wires when I know the exact location of all compenants.

Oh, and as for lighting:

I had planned on eitehr blue top level, green bottom level, or the other way round. maybe just one colour. I shall experiment with the lighting when the project is finished. I like your white light idea though, I may try it out at some point.

Also remember that some of these questions have already been answered on kustomPcs forums (link in first post of log)

cheers. :p

12. noobidoo

noobidoo What's a Dremel?

nice box dude.
    I like the design and i can't wait untill it's finisht.
    like master ninja sead
    "Forget paint, stain and varnish the wood for extra classiness."
    To that i agrea.

sory for very bad English in no mood to correct my mistakes.

13. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

very nice!
    what about colling?
    lightning?
    color?

14. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

That'll work well too. Black/orange is an interesting choice.

Dear god, if you put green lighting in an orange case, I'll have you arrested for making the inside look brown. But I like making the top/bottom different colors since they won't blend together. Blue/red maybe?

Also, if you get a PSU with a fan on the top or bottom, I know what you can do with it to keep it ventilated.

15. guy

guy What's a Dremel?

looks great man, great craftsmanship, nice dog btw.

16. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

Lol. Thanks for all the comments :rock:

Interesting theory about brown. I'm not sure if you maybe understand exactly what I mean. Only certain things inside will be orange...(HDD + Optical drive brackets and various other assorted things) I am still undecided as to what to do with the main colour of the insde walls.

Lighting can always be changed. If it looks crap, then I'll change it around and try different lighting schemes.

@ Arkadur, At the moment I plan on having no cooling other than various 'vents'
    (and whatever fan is on my new PSU) I will run the system inside the box and see what temps I get, I shall sort out cooling from there. As I don't want any more noise than is needed to sufficiently cool. (don't worry, I really don't think it'll be overheating)

As for your other questions. Please read the whole thread, colour and lighting have already been discussed. ;)

17. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

No, I understand what you mean. What I meant was that under green lighting, anything that you've painted orange will show up as ugly brown. The further you get from the orange end of the color spectrum, the darker the components will appear. Blue lighting would make them look almost black, while red lighting would still let them appear orange, and so on. That's why it's tricky to choose a color scheme without knowing your lighting or vice versa.

18. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

Ok. Thanks for the info :thumb:

I'll work out the colour scheme at a later date as it is easily changeable..

It is just that in my current computer I have a blue/green theme (lighting) and so it is just the easiest and cheapest option.

(btw, there should be an update fairly soon. I have nearly finished all the cuts for the windows, after that I'll need to cut the hole for the backplate. Also the hole for where that dvd drive is gunna come out of.. (which will be stealthed ;) )

19. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

Ok, I just tested my PSU again and it turns out isn't fuXx0red as previously thought.

Perhaps an update tonight seeing as I now know the dimensions of the PSU I will be using . And I do say perhaps

Oh btw, For those who wanted to know specs. The PSU is a 350W model. I am not sure of the manufacturer though.

:dremel:

20. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

How did you get to polish the HDD to be like a mirror? What tools?