1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cedega + linux = gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JavaBoy, 14 Jan 2005.

?

what distro?

1. SuSE

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. RedHat fedora

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. slackware

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. other, please post a link to the site and why u like it

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

why not? thats what OS X and windows do :p

imo linux needs 3 things to become a proper all round alternative to windows
    1) a much improved X, something with openGL rendering similar to OSX (something like this
    2) a standardised way of installing apps, like windows installers, installing stuff on a non-gentoo/debian linux system is a pain in the arse :p
    3) better gaming support,the day games companies simultaneously release games on linux and windows is the day i switch to linux :)

2. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Changing linux to windows:
    1. Get rid of spyware in Windows? Yes, but not after Firefox.
    2. Written a 4,000 word Word document with pics to have it corrupt? Yes, then I threw out Word '95 and installed XP. But I still use OpenOffice.org anyway.
    3. reformatted PC because Windows randomly died? Nope, that's what Knoppix CD's are for!

And yes, I've reformatted after linux randomly crashed.

The second I can get linux to recognize my PCI Wireless-G card is the second I dual boot. The second 3d Gaming with DirectX 9.0 features works in linux, I switch entirely.

I love linux, and install it on all my servers at work, and a couple of laptops, but I wouldn't go off the deep end thinking linux solves all of window's random problems, because sometimes, a well kept windows box lasts just as long as an ignored linux box. Linux seems more stable to me, and I love that most apps adhere to real standards, but I can't say windows crashes at the move of my mouse each time either.

Back on gaming, if I did use cadega with my DirectX 9.0 graphics card, could I use DirectX9 features in Counter Strike: Source? Or would I get the OpenGL version of water, smoke, etc?

3. tigra

tigra What's a Dremel?

you should use gentoo
    if you wanna play doom3 (where is a linux version)
    emerge doom3 and voila

4. cbr

cbr What's a Dremel?

With Linux you don't have to reinstall the OS even when you purchase a new config. You can just copy your root and change the kernel. Simple and you'll keep all of your configuration ;)

5. cbr

cbr What's a Dremel?

Anyway for gaming I would recommend Gentoo. The most bleeding-edge of the distros and the one you can hack the most. So the best for gaming.