1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Acrylic / Perspex

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Artie BrandT, 9 Jun 2005.

1. Artie BrandT

Artie BrandT Coffee, its what's for breakfast!

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if I'm being a complete moron and this has been asked before, but I've had a long look around all the forums (and extencivly googled) and not been able to find 'exactly' what I'm after:

I've got an idea in my head to build a bespoke computer case for my rig using a form of plastic, I believe Acrylic to be the material of choise for PC cases.

Could anyone suggest a company (preferably a website link), which has got a decent online catalogue I can look through, preferably located around the South-East of England. Also, if anyone could suggest suppliers who have showrooms / shops / outlets that I could go to and actually see the products for myself, that would be really appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
    Artie

2. sirbogey

sirbogey What's a Dremel?

go to the Modding forum and look in the first forum thread called "Useful links". This thread is always at the top. Once you get in just scroll down to see several links just for the UK. Tou will find all other shops in the UK listed aswell. I think the following website has acrylic to offer: http://www.technologysupplies.co.uk/

My favorite would be 4D Modelshop. This link takes you directly to the acrylic:

http://www.yellowcatshop.co.uk/shop...state=32769&tabcatid=3500106&subcatid=3500120

vavavoom!

3. sirbogey

I live in London and tried to go to local plastic shops to buy some scrap first. But most of them are outside London and I don't have a car. The ones in London don't cary acrylic... Anyway get a phone book and look up "plastic" or "plastic shops". Call them first though. Maybe you got more luck! btw: You will need "Weld-on 4" to glue your acrylics. Have you found anything in the UK? or are you gonne use something else?

4. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

I feel your pain Artie BrandT, like everything else finding modding materials (on the cheap) in the UK is a major PITA.

I lived in the states for a while and for some reason it seems that over there people are much more into DIY and therefore things are a lot easier to find.

Go figure.

5. sirbogey

so agreed. I lived there myself for 5 years. I wouldn't mind shipping it from the States at all, but the customs don't make it easy. Have you tried shipping some stuff from the States? I just got here like a year ago and settled in.. am currently waiting for my weld-on 4; takes only 6 weeks. 'cause they can't put it on the plane..

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

7. Modular

Modular What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem in the U.k. too .... then i phoned around and the diy shop B&Q do it .. (Excuse the pun,) , It's around £20 to £40 depending on the size ... But you get a big enough sheet of it ... you could do 4 - 6 case window's ... the cost goe's by the thickness ... there website does'nt show it but if you want to find your nearest branch go to www.diy.co.uk ....

I got a question if anyOne know's .... What's the minimum and maximum thickness for acrylic/perspex for doing a side window? ... Thank's, ;) ,

8. Artie BrandT

Artie BrandT Coffee, its what's for breakfast!

Hey guys, Sorry I didn't reply to you all yet, I've been away unexpectedly o.x

Thankyou all so much for your advice :rock: I'll take a look around the sites you've linked to ^.^ :clap: