1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell updates its 30-incher

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 Nov 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Am I correct in thinking that Dell is the only 30" tft on the market? or the only one worth having, I know there is now competition in the 24" niche.

Id be happy to update my....no, on second thoughts this is the wrong kinda forum for that kinda thought :p

3. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

Damit! I just bought my 3007WFP.

4. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

apple make one too, the only other one i can think of

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

apple made theirs first as well, but for all intensive purposes its shocking, so basically dell are the only ones that make a good 30", however, who as a grand to splash out on a screen!
    oh and.. wont the laser screens make this out dated?

6. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

But weren't LCD supposed to make CRTs outdated? I still use a CRT and prefer it to a LCD. LCDs are generally too harsh for my eyes and I prefer the softer look that my CRT gives me. Although I have considered on several occasions on getting a LCD mainly to increase desktop space.

7. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Still no extra inputs :( I won't upgrade until it at least has Dual-Link DVI, VGA, HDMI, Component, S-Video with proper video scaling and 1:1 pixel mapping.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons that the 30" screens (and any of the Apple displays) don't entice me much. I've got one of their 24" and I USE those inputs - I've even got the analogs on a switchbox for consoles and whatnot.
    Of course, VGA doesn't support resolution that high, and it already has dual-link DVI (as single-link only goes to 1920x1200), and analog would look horrible at that resolution. Still, I don't see why they can't just add in an upscaler and the 1:1 stuff. AFAIK, HDMI only goes as high as single-link DVI resolutions, though I think a newer spec of HDMI goes to the full 2560x1600 of dual-link. Not that anything other than computers runs at 1440p+.

Gah. Even if it would look like crap or forced to be upscaled, I'd still like the option. All things considered I'd be better off with dual 24" other than the fact that I don't want to mix and match the 2405 and 2407 since they have different frame borders. Shafted either way.

9. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I was hoping to see the other inputs in addition to the dual-link DVI already provided ;) VGA may not be able to go that high (although Sony had a 24" CRT capable of 2304 x 1440), but it'd be nice to be able to plug the XBox 360 into the VGA input and the monitor scale it.

It would just be nice to be able to use the inputs and have the monitor either do a 1:1 pixel mapping or sensibly scale it to fit the screen. With regards to scaling 3840x2400 would be a much better resolution than 2560x1600 and it would yield a monitor with a reasonable dot pitch of around 150dpi.

10. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

my thought is will this replace the original or will they still offer it-maybe at a lower price? or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Id get the original if it came down to 1000$us. hmmmm... I think I'll wait to see if it comes down in price. I was planning on the 37" 1080p westy but I would take the original 30" dell for 1000$. I really would like to see some reviews of the upscaling video capabilities of the new 8800gtx with purevideo, on both sd and hd res. that would be sweet with a 30" dell.

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I think HP are bringing one out as well.

<A88>

12. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

lol, does anyone remember the days when 17" lcd monitors where cool? :worried:

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:grr: I was hoping this would be like the "new" 20" LCD (link) almost as good but at a much better price :sigh:

14. customh

customh conflagration.

15. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

OUCH...I was thinking of buying a 30" monitor...but @ a price like that...I will most definitly scrach that of my shopping list. It dose look very good though.

16. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

I want one of these so badly :(

I spent ~£600 on my 2001FP 2 years ago so I'm not averse to spending the money it's just that ... I don't have any right now XD

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

18. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I placed an order for the Dell 30" yesterday and cancelled it today when I read the news on this site im not paying £1k for a monitor that is about to be replaced although it was very hard to cancel it took all my will power as I really really want it.

19. customh

customh conflagration.

I see, Tim, and neocleus, i can't imagine your pain.

Tags: Add Tags