1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Halo 3 Multiplayer Beta Impressions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Very short, not much mentioned about the ranking systems or the maps.

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Gaaah, looking at Halo 3 and thinking about how long it'll take to come to PC makes me sick!

4. drakanious

drakanious What's a Dremel?

So far, the worst thing I can say about Halo 3 is about the people who play the game. I don't remember Halo 2 players being so prone to team-killing.

Combat in Halo 3 seems a little more deadly. Only one needler can be held at a time and it is much more powerful. Support weapons (like the chaingun) make you go slow as hell, and I think that larger weapons like the brute shot and rocket launcher slow you down as well.

The default sensetivity is really high, compared to Halo 2/1. (I'm not sure if you can even decrease it.)

Gamespot said something about "now being able to see your legs"; I have no clue what the hell they're talking about, you could see your legs in Halo 2. However, in 3rd person view/on other people you can now see weapons on backs and on legs.

The mongoose (ATV) is a helluva lot of fun, and is something of a gambit, it seems. One time, riding on the back of one, I took out three people with an assault rifle; another time, a grenade killed both me and the driver. You can't splatter others in the mongoose.

The bubble shield (and on-map shields) can be useful as a tactical (not strategic) device. Throw down a bubble shield, wait for someone to advance, throw a grenade, step out of the shield. Or, throw down a shield and just wait there with the shotty.

The jump pad is difficult to use correctly, but can help drive out a group from a higher location. Also, it's quite fun to throw one between you and an advancing vehicle.

Bungie said that this wasn't all the weapons, or all the maps, or all the game types, (and definitely not all the vehicles--where's the banshee, the wraith, the scorpion?)... This shows some promise, though I'm not sure that I would get a 360 just for Halo 3.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Ill wait for the finished copy.

6. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

I don't recognise the author. Looks an awesome game. I'm firmly in the novice camp though

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I always tell ppl that halo is horribly over-rated and a crappy game.

But in secrecy, I play alot, so shhhhh!

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Andy's reviewed a few bits and bobs for us, including STALKER, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and the MX Revolution mouse. ;)

9. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm, I was a bit disappointed after clicking through from the home page as this is exactly the same article that appeared on TrustedReviews, that I had already read.

But the beta, well, its pretty cool but after all the anticipation I didn't feel compelled to keep playing it. Not sure why, it just didn't hook me. Matchmaking for me was pretty bad in terms of speed, but apparently thats been fixed according to bungie's weekly update (i've no access to a 360 right now to check though.)

10. DougEdey

Matchmaking is one hell of a lot faster, but that's the point of the beta.

11. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Played some last night at a friends house and brought my projector to hook the 360 up to. We had a nice 70" screen and were playing with just two people. Even with that big of a screen it was still damn hard to tell red from blue in the team games. Everybody was always glowing from their armor being hit which made it hard to tell. Another complaint I have is it just seemed like a new map on halo 2 to me. Now i dont own a 360, but i do have an original xbox and i have halo 1 and 2 but halo 3 didnt seem all that great to me.

Anyone else have the red/blue issue?

12. DougEdey

A friend of mine was complaining about it, but that was only in the Ice Cave entrance on Snowbound.

It may be your projector contrast not being right.

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I played it Thursday and got hooked Just wished I could have had a spare hour or two (or three or four) to have played it on the weekend.

14. DougEdey

Or like me, J, Atanu, my housemate, my friend from uni and a couple of others, all day on saturday and sunday...

Tags: Add Tags