1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Intel P35 chipset

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

why didn't they include a daughterboard for the sound this time?? from what i've concluded audio will get better with it. beware of spelling nazi's btw.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Am I the only who who looked at bandwidth between the NB and CPU and thought "Holy ****, is that it?".

4. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

will be waiting untill september :p

That's more Asus than you can shack a stick at. The features do overlap in places and the sheer vastness of the list can be confusing and even daunting to some, but you can use as many or as few as you like

shack a stick at. spelling correction in order.

very nice review ! thank you Bit

5. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

i must say, well done on the inclusion of the power requirements for the board. :D fantastic review and lovely to see the power consumption being added.

6. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Seems from the reviews I've read that there's a lot of different opinions on this chipset. Some have found improved memory performance while this one didn't. Some have found it to be quite power hungry others haven't. I think a lot of these discrepancies can be explained by having different mobos and bios' as well as the use of either DDR2/3 RAM.

It doesn't seem like any of the initial P35 boards actually use the ICH9R's integrated gigabit ethernet MAC. I wonder why?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Too expensive. Intel charge a premium for their silicon, or simply people like Marvell or Realtek undercut it.

It's also partly why Centrino notebooks cost so much: Exclusively Intel parts.

Power hungry: depends on the PSU, depends on the ram used, graphics, fans and peripherals attached.

To be perfectly honest I was expecting better memory performance as well, but I'm attributing it to early BIOS' atm. It SHOULD be better, but we've not found it is.

8. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

But isn't the ethernet MAC already in the ICH9R and so all they have to add is a PHY chip. Is even that more expensive than a full controller from the other vendors?

I think there's often very little point in comparing Power usage results across sites for precisely that reason you never know the exact setup. That's one reason why I like Xbit Labs as at least for CPUs and GPUs they tend to isolate the power usage (well including their respective VRMs) from the rest of the system.

Not every site has been using the same mobos or indeed using the same RAM/FSB speeds so at this early stage I guess we can't make any solid conclusions. Besides I don't think the difference would be more than 5% anyway which may matter to some but isn't a big deal to me.

9. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

It doesn't matter if Intel has the MAC inside it's chipset anyway, then can still charge extra for the use of it. It's not like the motherboard manufacturers just purchase their chip and can then do whatever they want with it. They are basically licensing it, and Intel can thus charge extra license for the use of the MAC. At least that's what I think is going on.

I would like to see more Intel and Broadcom MAC and PHYs on motherboards though.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well using a PHY chip lets people negate the use of an extra PCI-Express slot, but at the same time the extra wiring costs time to engineer. Like you said, it's the licence cost and who people have contracts with.

Power usage: take a look across as many sites as possible and gauge the difference between setups. Same as reviews in general tbh :)

11. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Fair enough makes sense

A bit tedious but obviously the best approach.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Obviously we should be your definitive choice and first port of call... :worried:

;)

13. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Naturally. We gotta support our own :thumb:

14. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to a review on the Abit IP35-Pro :) <£100 with all the extra nice stuff.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Aww come on, how hard can it be to make decent sound cards to highendish motherboards? F the ADI... I just don't get it.

Nice review again!

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Decent sound cards cost money :(

Tags: Add Tags