1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Portal: Hands-on Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Sep 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

I'd just like to ditto Joe's thoughts: Portal is pure awesome!!

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

me wanna try :(

4. riggs

riggs ^_^

Damnit! Yet another game I need to add to the long list of stuff I havn't played yet!

But, do I have to pick up the Orange Box, or can I just buy Portal separately (I'm talking about the PC version here)?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't think that has been finalised yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy Portal / TF2 on their own. They might be priced in a way that makes you buy Orange Box though.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Do you think there will be community mods for this? Perhaps that would add a little bit extra to it.

7. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I seriously am more excited about this game than the other orange box titles. I'm excited about them too. But I have played all of those genre's before. I love a good puzzler and I love a good FPS! Best of the both :D

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Well, I guess you'll be able to mod it using the Source SDK, so I'd guess there will be mods (if required). :)

9. will.

I bet there are loads of maps spewed out.

10. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

is this going to be multiplayer?

11. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

I still can't believe I'm getting all this for $45 bucks.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm also more excited about portal than anything else in the Orange Box, it looks well cool and I can't wait. I am looking forward to the other games though, I want to continue HL2's story so I'm looking forward to Ep 2, and TF2 is pretty fun, albeit yet another multiplayer FPS which I'm not very good at.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No multiplayer, yes there'll be mods on the PC I bet, but it will depend heavily on quality maps being made. I look at Narbacular drop and I think thats how Portal will end up - the main replay coming from speed runs

14. will.

If they can make the sdk a bit more accessible. Or even implement some kind of garry's mod style tool into the game I would love to have a go at making a few mind benders.

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Slightly offtopic: are you going to review TF2?

I';m trying to decide whether to get Orange Box or wait for Ep2 to be released by itself...

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'd imagine bit will do a massive review of all three, they aren't massive games, I've played TF2 for few hours and there isn't a lot to say about it other than it's a lot of fun. It's a bit hard right now though as all the people in the beta are very good at the game and I'm a bit crap. Hopefully when the final game is released there will be more people of my skill level.

17. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

A Beta preview is under consideration for the weekend - eyes peeled

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

I would have thought we'll be reviewing the whole Orange Box when it comes out. We'll have a TF2 preview up this weekend too, all being well. Busy week for games this week. :)

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Archangel has currently volunteered to review the TF2 beta. As for the full game, the plan is to do three shorter reviews on each. I'm planning to do them in this order: Ep 2, Portal, TF2.

One massive review of all three isn't worth it IMO from a effort/payoff effort. I can do nine pages and take a week and let everybody read it a little late, or I can do three sets of three, let everyone read exactly what they want and deliver it in a more timely fashion.

It's the same reason I don't cover events like Ubidays in a single article now. Most people read the first page, skip to what they really want to see and miss out the other stuff which may well interest them. By splitting it up it eases my workload and gives readers more of a chance to see what they want.

Of course, as ever I'm open to alternatives from you lot...

Edit: Tim has a different opinion on how to cover it?! Oh noes! Maybe we should have a poll...

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

The whole Orange box means all games in The Orange Box, not all at once :p

Tags: Add Tags