1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware XFX GeForce 9800 GX2 600M 1GB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Mar 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Cool I'm first. I am SOOOO Getting one of these when Danger Den comes out with a block

3. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

(Pretend the "L" is a pound sign in all areas that apply)

L434 but $599?
    If the pound is almost double that of the dollar,
    that means Britains are essentially paying $868 for the same bit of kit.
    Why isn't it equal or near equal? (~L300 ?)
    It just seems like a screw over for anyone in Britain.

Or maybe I'm missing something, being American and all.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very good review.

I'll still wait for a single card though.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

VAT and the fact that they can get away with it. Yes it does suck, but that is the way of the world.

I don't really see the point of this card considering the price of two 8800GT's. Why pay £400+ when you can get the same performance for £280?

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

same.

those x2 cards doesn't mean anything for me.

especially considering Crysis (the only game 8800GTX cannot max) gives about the same minimal FPS as G80 Ultra. every other game sees overkill FPS for overkill price.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, if it hadn't been an act of god to turn this review around in the time given, three would have been a pair of 8800 GTs thrown in for good measure. :)

8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

question is - do i get a second 8800GTX, or sell my current one and get this?

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Or just wait until this is cheaper, there is some competition and your 8800 GTX is slow by comparison. The 8800 GTX isn't a huge amount slower than the 8800 Ultra, which performs pretty well in most of the titles in this review.

Does anyone else think the artwork looks like GladOS?

Compared to the launch of the 8 series (primarily the 8800 GTX) this is a bit meh. You could have had roughly this performance in 2006! I suppose it just re-affirms how good the 8800 GTX was.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2008
  10. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I regret getting the 7950gx2 but atleast that was supposed tobe the best of the generation, surely this should be comparable to two 8800 ultras not JUST beating 2xgts cards in some places ... makes me feel that much better about the PS3 + GT5 preorder I just made - PC hardware is becoming a farce.

11. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Well, it certainly did better than I expected... It's good to see that it's mostly better than SLi 8800GTS 512, since pre-launch a lot of people were just saying "oh, 9800GX2 is just SLi 8800GTS and will have worse performance because of lower clocks" etc etc.

However, I'm still kind of disappointed. Looking at the ol' 8800GTX launch back in the day, this looks like just a small step up from that... and that was back in '06.

12. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Have to say I'm impressed with the LED power indicators, such a simple idea.

I think I'll reserve judgement further until the hybrid SLI features can be tested, which may be the reason to pay the extra over two 8800GT's - just thinking of the potential leccy savings.

13. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

I liked the review, and that exploded 3D model looked neat!

14. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

That whine scared the hell out of me the first, and only time, I forgot to hook those up. Great review, decent card, I wish it was more of an improvement. Might have been lulled into a sense of amazement with the GTX though. I feel sad and eclipsed now.

15. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Tasty.

Bought one :D

16. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I had a 7950GX2 for a while, it was great when it was working but I had a lot of driver issues. Mainly the card would force itself into single card mode quite often, giving me performance around a 7900gt. Due to this I've decided to stick with single cards from now on, I don't think I would even try SLI anymore.

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I still don't warm up to this multi-GPU humbug. Come up with something new and impress me, damnit. The card itself looks sleek and all, but so what? The performance STILL is nothing special in my eyes. If I was to go multi-GPU then I'd just get 9600GT SLI...

18. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

The lack of movement really does go to show just how great a card the 8800GTX is, I have had one happily purring along for over 1 year. The only thing to stress it is Crysis, that said it's still looks nice and plays nice at higher resolutions.

I thought about buying the BFG that they have in the OCUK sale for 275 squids, changed my mind though since I really want Hybrid SLI. Will be waiting until a single card comes along to eclipse the 8800GTX....might be waiting for a while.

19. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

Nice article smalley o' mally! But i cant see me shedding out the dollar for the card. That said, I am a massive ati/amd fan and want to remain loyal but its getting harder every time i see the fps's on games between nvidia and the ati guys. As someone who looks, but no neccesarily pays full attention to what nvidia is offering i need some clarification now, in the review and in comments here 2 cards are causing a degree of abiguity in my mind.
    - The GTX/Ultra, are they the same card?
    - Secondly, why when i look on OCuk is there a massive dfifference in price between the GTX and GTS when, from what i recall, the GTS beats the GTX in every test on here today, but is cheaper, i feel as though i am being tricked by someone as the massively cheaper card (GTS) is the better performer but they are both from the same company? answers on a postcard please,

peace

fatman

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks! It's a shame that ATI was back in the game for just a few weeks and then this release throws things out all over the place again. Competition is what we all want, even if you're a die-hard fan of the winner... because competition means better prices.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1) The 8800 GTX and Ultra are based on the same PCB. There are different coolers on them, but I wouldn't pay much over the price of a GTX for an Ultra.

2) The 8800 GTS 512 is a similar performer to the 8800 GTX - it'll win some and lose some, depending on resolution and AA settings. If you're memory bandwidth limited, the GTX wins hands down basically. However, if you're shader limited, it's quite likely that a single GTS 512 will beat (or at least match) a GTX and sometimes an Ultra. GTS 512 SLI is a more expensive proposition than a single GTX/GTS 512, but the performance aren't too far away from the 9800 GX2... and it's £100 cheaper.

Depends if you want SLI on a non-nForce mobo or not. If you do, there's a premium to pay.

Tags: Add Tags