1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, E8400 and E8200

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Nice article, the only question left would be how would the processors compare when overclocked?

The q6600 can be had for £140, and has the same 9x multi as the e8400, features 2 extra cores and is cheaper. Whilst it may lack the wolfdales architectural improvements, and won't overclock quite as high, with both chips at their max overclocks (which for cheaper boards will likely be similar due to fsb bottlenecks) the q6600 may prove a better price:performance proposition.

The article really drives home however that despite us all feeling that we 'need' quads, the applications can't yet truly take advantage, and a dual core can offer similar performance or a lot less (cost, power and heat).

3. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Great article, but the lack of the new B3 Phenoms raise eyebrows.
    Instead the use of B2 which are problematic is common to bash AMD?

The market has the B3s in stock, and they are magnificent.
    In a broad test like this they should be included. (and the tri-core ones).

Thank you.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

No mention of stock shortages?

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

awww, my poor e4300 isn't looking so hot anymore. oh well.

also, shouldn't this have a hardware tag rather than news?

6. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Just what I was going to say. The E8xxx series would be great, if you could find them anywhere (let alone at the specified prices!). I've been on the waiting list for an E8400 for well over a month now, and apparently the situation isn't much better in the rest of the world...

7. salesman

salesman What's a Dremel?

I would like to know the benchmarks of the new Q9300 Q9450 and the Q9550( yorkfields), and how the compare to the e8200 e8400 and the e8500.(wolfdales). And also why is there a stock shortage which likely cause a price increase supply demand.

8. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

Great Review - It looks like im getting the E8400 :)

9. notatoad

if you can't find the e8xxx series, try the xeon equivalents. ncix has had decent stock of those for a while, other stores (in North America anyways) should too.

10. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Hmm, I may have to get a 8200 to tide me over till Nehalem then, good performance, low(ish) cost.
    EDIT: What's better for re-encoding DVDs, DivX or x264, quality wise. I have a small collection and its growing and want them all in digital form.

12. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

phenom looked surprisingly good really

im happy with my q6600 though

13. notatoad

they must swap the stock between the sides of the ocean. q9xxx are all over the place over here, stores have them on weekly specials to try and move them. e8xxx are impossible to find, and if they do come in they sell out within hours.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because I decided to test the Intel boards with DDR2 so they have less memory bandwidth but it's more user applicable at a mainstream level. The Phenoms "Turbo" mode helps and we're also this time comparing to CPUs of equivalent cost, rather than "best each company has to offer".

I still think the Q6600 is a better purchase, especially after you overclock it.

ST - yea I couldn't find hardly any E8000s for US prices :S :(

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Is there also a quoadcore like version of the E8400, since i am both a gamer and a heavy app/video editing user. I'm looking for a good processor upgrade. I dont want a Q6600, its getting old and to get the best out of it, i must do heavy overclocking what results into more power consumption.

any ideas

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Q9450. Good luck finding stock though.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The Q9450 has a 1333MHz FSB and a lower multiplier so the Q6600 will still likely be a better option if you weight in overclocking and the chip cost too :)

18. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Was going to get an E8200, but it was out of stock everywhere, and then I found an E8400 at Dabs for £15 more....
    Out of the box, with no voltage or owt it's happy at 3.6GHz, not really played with it yet but I had a few errors in Source games at 3.8 with no extra voltage.
    Nice chips though, and the OEM heatsink that comes with them is literally half the hight of the older Intel heatsink.

19. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Off topic sorry :) But yeah, just went through that dilema, here's what I believe is the bottom line.

DivX = More compatibility with lower quality
    X264 = Less compatibility with higher quality

Choose x264 now, because I see the compatibility issue just because it's a new codec and will catch up to DivX in time - does anyone reallllly use stand alone divx players? Also, you might want to consider that x264 takes longer to encode, but I'm of the opinion you only do that once per DVD in your collection, so it's not an issue.

And yes, might be time to upgrade from the old E6700 sitting here (oh that feels weird to call it old) - love the 10x multiplier though, makes overclocking just that little bit easier

20. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

q6600 Cheesecake... still

Tags: Add Tags