1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 May 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

you know, i thought motherboard development was pretty slow, and pretty much limited to the chipset development, but this is a pretty big step by gigabyle. i didn't know such huge gains on power consumption was possible.

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

With results and features like that, this board would make the top of my shortlist if it wasn't for the hideous colour scheme that Gigabyte insist on using. Sure colours make for ease of locating things but they could at least tone things serveral notches.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nice, but pricey atm.

5. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

I bought a Gigabyte last year from Newegg for my Q6600 - damned thing was broken, the actual motherboard itself looked like it was permanently bent on one corner. Got a replacement - also dead duck. Given the way these things were packaged, I can only believe that Gigabyte's build quality is atrocious. Now very happy with an Asus P5B D/L and will never buy anything with Gigabyte written on it (ok, the *brand* name... :) ).

6. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

I got an X38-DS5 for my new build a month or so ago. Been very pleased with it so far.

Andy

7. widmod

widmod Minimodder

do i spy a lpt(parallel) pin out on the buttom edge next to the S/PDIF pin out?
    what are the outher pin outs thre serial?? :confused:
    nice board btw :clap:

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Personally, I'm leaning more towards Gigabyte's P45-DS5 board which we've already seen here.
    Cheaper (I hope), with 10 right-angled SATA connectors along the board edge, and the onboard power/reset/cmos switches missing from the X48.
    The only advantage I see for the X48 is DDR3, which I'd be willing to live without until Nehalem arrives (especially as I could max it out to 8GB for about 120-140quid).

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yep - RS232 serial is right near it down the bottom.

10. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin What's a Dremel?

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say that I would prefer a quality, thorough review than one rushed. Even if it does come out later than elsewhere.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think it's safe to say the board in that particular review uses the non-production version of the silicon since production silicon didn't come out of the fabs until late February/early March. We had an X48 preview on the site shortly after the X38 launch, and this is one of the first retail X48 boards we've reviewed based on production silicon. These things can take time to generate and this was held up a little by the 790i SLI review that took the best part of 2 months to get to the end of... and even then, we could have gone on a lot longer while we continued to essentially QA the board for Nvidia/XFX.

We have been working on P45 reviews for about a week now, but we're still working with manufacturers to get the BIOS into a production state. New revisions are coming through nearly every day on some fronts.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But the chipset has changed revision and manufacturing process since CeBit, which was in March. X48 is still very valid and will remain valid for the next 6 months at least. To be honest ANYONE pushing out a P45 review now or next week will be doing so on an immature, unoptimised BIOS that does represent the final product. We have P45 boards, but we're just waiting BIOS'.

EDIT: Damn you Tim and your fast posting

14. Supershanks

Supershanks What's a Dremel?

Nice review richard :D
    The board overrclocks very well , I've probably enjoyed more time to play with it. As you say quad performance isn't anything exceptional;, but the mix of decent ddr3 & wolfdale is great see benches :-.
    http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/3201-gigabyte-x48t-dq6-living-review.html
    The one thing that frustrates me is the CPUGTLRef which is the same as it was on the x38. I have found that a bit of tweaking has helped get higher clocks see 20) GTLREF in the above link.

luck:)

Tags: Add Tags