1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus Rampage Extreme – Niche New Features

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Wow.... just wow...
    What a ridiculous piece of kit. Just looking at this thing reminds me of Richard's comment towards the end of his last Asus mobo review ("Why not build boards with features and (low) prices that customers want, not just to have engineering e-peen swinging contests across Taipei?") and makes me wonder about the future of "enthusiast users" wallets.

3. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

are those 3870s?

the semi passive ones? (matrix was it?)

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I lost the picture that told me >_< I will go back and check if I have time. I think it maybe 3870/8800 range, but maybe also a technical demonstration of its new cooler style in line with its RoG series.

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Yeah, I would like to know as well. Those are cool looking graphics cards...

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

it;s true manufacturers should really give consumers what they really need, rather than what looks good on paper....but damn that board looks hot.

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Amen to that. I mean who needs extreme overclocking anyway with all those quadcores getting used for less then 40% in realworld applications. We just want a cheap (not getting to hot on the chipset) very stable motherboard with good feature set and a good layout for around 100 euros. For example like the Abit IP35 Pro, that was/is a great board, nice layout and for a reasonable price and great features too.

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

This article lacks full on board shots.

9. shaffaaf27

it couldnt have been 8800GT as they were in Xfire, on an Xfire board

10. K3TT

K3TT What's a Dremel?

those graphics card are NVIDIA 9600GT ROG (Republic of gamers) :) they look sexy doesn't it

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Oh god.

I want one.

Please steal me one, please!

I can do a mean stir-fry when you get back?

12. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

" for some on-the-fly overclocking action, apparently even when in Windows and in-game. However reaching into your case while you frag isn’t the easiest thing, but it’s a cool idea that no one else has even remotely come up with yet."
    mmm, you've been able to do that for years with an abit uGuru mobo used with an uGuru clock or panel & you don't have to reach into your case ...

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

first word in my head.... WOW

14. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

yet again, awesome design scheme wit the PCB and heatsink/pipes, but spoilt by the white and blue slots! Red/black/grey would have fit a lot better!

Also, something that seems a little odd with the graphics cards there, the in-take for the blower seems to be really small? Surey they don't need to close over the area quite as much as that?

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yep, I found out yesterday they are just RoG branded with new heatsinks and offer some auto-overclocking/green features.

Roto - true, but the booth was crowded and I didnt have enough space to take *good* pictures of it all :(

16. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

any one else notice 9600GTs SLi on an Intel chipset?

17. shaffaaf27

yep, i already stated that

18. moltenlava

moltenlava What's a Dremel?

Maybe there is a nForce 100/200 chip under the massive Southbridge heatsink. The maximus extreme had a similar large Southbridge heatsink that housed 2 chips, 1 being the southbridge and the other an IDT PCI-E splitter to split the 2nd x16 PCI-E slot to 2 x8.

Now wouldnt that be extreme, i mean Intel have done that on their Skulltrial so why not ASUS on this motherboard.

It could however just be a "design" feature and the large heatsink doesnt mean anything. Also we didnt see in those pictures whether the motherboard was actually running those cards in SLI. You could put 2 cards in the Maximus Extreme and out the SLI bridge on, turn it on and it would work but both cards would still be working in SLI disabled mode.

People will need to do their homework before buying this board and not just base their purchase off these pictures as this could just be a ploy by ASUS (or a geniune mistake, they just wanted to show both products off at same time or didnt have any ATI cards handy) to get extra buzz/advertisement about this board by creating speculation on wether this X48 will be able to run SLI, without them actually falsely saying it can.

19. Wava

Wava What's a Dremel?

Well, we all got fooled. The picture with the 2 Nvidia cards (9600GT Matrix') , that's a different motherboard.
    Look at the on and reset switch. And then look for a picture of the Rampage Extreme's buttons. (right upper corner)

It's a shame though :(

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my GOD it's good looking.

why doesn't all MOSFET cooler look like that? that's a great design! will cool very well comparing to all other short MOSFET coolers that don't get any airflow

Tags: Add Tags