1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda: Fallout 3 is better than Oblivion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

That is not much of an accomplishment, as Oblivion is one of the most overhyped, overrated RPG/Game ever. never played such a game so hyped that lacked so much depth and was so bland in my life.

it blows my mind now reviewers mention how broken oblivion really was, but when it was relewaed they glossed over it. Oblivion was NOT a good RPG at all. Terrible dialog, lack of need to explore (Loot and monster leveling), no choices, terrible speech mini-game, etc......

3. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'm looking more towards STALKER Clear Sky for my Post-Apocalyptic FPS-RPG fix. That's what I think of Fallout.

4. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I quite liked Oblivion. I will admit the variable difficulty kept the game from ever being really challenging. But it was fun other than that. But then again I loved Morrowind too. I guess it is one of those love/hate types of games. It is a game that begs to be turned into an MMO though. They would make a killing.

I am excited for Fallout 3. But I have not played the other 2. I feel like fans of the originals are going to be let down by the changes.

5. bowman

bowman Minimodder

I'm buying Stalker Clear Sky.. I'm not buying F3. Mangled IP from the same people who mangled their _own_ franchise? No thanks.

6. krypt1k

krypt1k What's a Dremel?

Swing and a miss. Fallout 3 doesn't need to be better than Oblivion. It needs to be better than Fallout 2.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

improve some of the textures on the E3 demo and then we'll see.

8. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Oblivion was an "OK" game, it is FO3 obligation to be better than TES IV. It is one of the best franchises out there, so, unlikely most of the movies, it needs to be better than its predessors.

With this much hype going arround FO3, it needs to be one of the best games until now!

I am not too excited with FO3, but even being more excited with the new STALKER, i will give FO3 a try. Mostly because i am a HUGE fan of the series. After that i'll post my impressions in here. I really hope they don't mess with my baby!

9. banshee256

banshee256 What's a Dremel?

It's funny... When I posted on Bethsoft's own boards, I was told that they would compare Fallout 3 with Oblivion, since it's 2 very different games. 4 months later and they're doing it themselves. And then the games are not so different after all. Action > depth, graphics > gameplay and that insane idea that leveled monsters/badguys/zones in any shape or form is a good thing.

No matter how good reviews this game is going to get and no matter how many rewards it's going to win (going to be a lot, I guess), I'm not gonna buy for at least 6 months after release, after checking various people's opinions.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i agree i very much doubt im going to get this i have just bought diablo 2 again /hack /chop /hack /openCrate

11. Lepermessiah

Clear sky is going to own F#, and most games of 08, unfortunately the "Biased console centric sites and media", won't give it the credit it will deserve, they need to keep that advertising money coming from the big console makers and publishers.

12. Lepermessiah

I meant Fallout 3 in post above, lol.

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have to say I am looking forward to this, I thoroughly enjoyed Oblivion especially the freeform exploration nature of it. Sure the world levelling did make things seem a little bland, there wasn't anywhere which had the reputation of 'eek, better wait until I level a fair bit before I go in there' but in truth I wasn't playing it for a difficult challenge, I was playing as an explorer and shiny things collector (and later on, a rooftop dwelling assassin) and I suspect I will be playing FO3 in exactly the same way.

Picked up a copy of the 3 in 1 pack of FO, FO2 and FO tactics so I could get up to date on what's what, sure they may be dated now but they should be fun nonetheless.

14. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

I don't have a doubt in my mind that FO3 will be better than Oblivion. BUT FO3 better be just a tasty appitizer before the next Elder Scrolls installment. I loved Oblivion and really enjoyed the exploration and interactivity of the game, and I'm sure the next one will just blow the socks off everything else. If I had to choose between a new Elder Scrolls and FO3, bring on the Skooma baby and hand me my mage's staff :D

15. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I was so amped for Oblivion and honestly I never felt let down, I'm not sure why everyone else in the world apparently feels like it was "overhyped" or a let down. I've played Oblivion to death and I still have fun with it. The whole auto-leveling things just makes it so you have to actually keep trying a bit, whats so wrong with that?

Come on now people, as tough as it is for anyone to admit it making games is a business. There's no way anyone could make a game that played exactly like the previous Fallouts (isometric view, turn-based RPG) and expect to make a decent amount of money off of it. Can't we all just be happy that someone is even making another game in the Fallout universe and agree to not knock it till we've tried it?

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I enjoyed Oblivion though the monstors leveling with me never really worked too well, early on they were challenging but fun but once I had Umbra and my awesome armour (85% through using Sigil stones to enchant basic clothes then 3% damage and spell resist and 60% chameleon) none of the enemies were too much of a challenge.

So anyway, if Fallout 3 is better, then brilliant imo. I never played any of the previous ones so I don't know what I will be missing out on anyway.

17. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

totally agree with this one imho.

18. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

But writing off a game before it's released makes you look cool.;) Nothing wrong IMO about oblivion, the quest line had plenty of variety for the different classes. The "leveling up" system was an excellent idea whereby you gain levels in the skills your using. The auto level for the monsters did suck and got a bit annoying in parts. Story wise I really enjoyed Oblivion. Having Sean Bean and Patrick Steward as voices for the key characters in the game made it that little bit special I thought.
    If fallout 3 can take the good bits from Oblivion and keep some of the humour from the previous fallout titles, I'll be one satisfied customer.:D

19. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Actually, I wager if they made it isometric and turn based people would still buy it, hell if they did that I would be happy as hell. I don't care what other people say, the turn-based combat in FO1 and 2 was damn fun. There are still strong strategy RPG's made today, I don't understand why everything has to be a real time fast paced action game. Also, as I've said before, making a game shouldn't be about making money first and foremost. I doubt Bethedsa is looking at FO3 and going, "What can we do to make the most money with this?" I mean they have rights to one of the best IP's ever, I'm pretty sure they're trying hard as hell to make it a worthy sequel and a good game, not worrying about making money off it.

The combat was actually the only thing I hated in Oblivion, it absolutely sucked. I still enjoyed the game, but the repetitive boring combat did nothing for me.

20. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Err, as if they are gonna say it isn't gonna be better.... they would say that!

Tags: Add Tags