News Nvidia: GPU shipments down 20 percent in Q2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'm sick of all this crap...

I want larrabee!

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

LOL, slow down......

it's because people are scared that as soon as they buy a graphics card that they thought is good, a newer, better, cheaper one will come out. 9800GTX at launch vs 9800GTX+ now.

the amount of cards being pushed out by nVidia in the last year since 8800GT is ridiculous

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Agreed.. there is far too much choice, I'm sure it gets very confusing for many people, especially people who aren't too technically minded.

5. alleyne

alleyne What's a Dremel?

Also has to to do with the strong ATI products that are now available. BANG BANG go AMD
    ________
    Gm-Avtovaz Specifications

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  6. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

People are sick of being sold an 'upgrade' which is nothing of the sort.

7. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

People are sick of being ripped off when you can buy the same cards 40% cheaper in America.

I for one am holding out with my trusty 8800GTX until the cards drop down in price to atleast what our American friends can currently buy them at.

8. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

I am also still using my 8800 GTX Sli set-up as I see no reason to upgrade at all.

9. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Fro what I understand (and i could be wrong) but the income of what people overseas make is higher than what it is here (on average, and again i could be wrong.) that being said when people make more money products are usually priced more. Also the cost of fuel (which directly affects everything) is higher for you so that will also drive up the cost of products.
    Point is I think you are going to be waiting a long time for prices to come down to what we are paying over here.

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

so, this integrated intel chipset. third quarter? when can we expect to see actual boards on e-shelves?

11. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

is he not going to mention the fact their mobile gpu's have started to break, that's gotta hurt revenue... id be wary of an nvidia mobile graphics card

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

They mentioned it a while ago... and took a $196 million charge to fix the problem. I talk about it in the article as Huang talked about it on the earnings call. :)

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'm not surprised, considering their Linux drivers are knitted from pure a$$.

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If there's any truth to the rumours, then $196 million won't even begin to cover the problems. In a way I'm not really too sorry for nVidia on this point. It's about time they get to eat some humble pie for all the crap they've pulled over the last couple of years...

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

They'd be taken to the cleaners by SEC if the problem wasn't disclosed fully... I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. :)

16. vegettoxp

vegettoxp What's a Dremel?

So much for Can Of Woop Ass On Intel.
    Rock On Intel!

17. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

The $196M charge is for warranty cover and compensation to clients such as HP and Dell etc.

The actual total cost to their brand may well be much higher. I for one would not consider a laptop with any Nvidia mobile solution in there currently as I dont have confidence they have resolved the problem... other than issuing a bios update to increase the fan speeds. Go vacuum cleaner...!

I would however consider a new laptop with an ATI mobile solution in it. My current mac book pro's ATI 1600 has served me well, and seems much more reliable than the Nvidia 8400 series in the new mac book pros (not to mention less hot)

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, I think that's the kicker here. The reputation got shot (and that's why Nvidia's share price halved when the news was announced originally). :)

19. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

nVidia is experiencing a sudden onslaught of criticism and difficult times... the $196 mill. issue with their mobile-GPU's, "rumors" of defective mainstream desktop GPU's as well, and an overpriced/under-performing Northbridge/Southbridge (680i / 780i / etc). With ATI climbing back up the GPU ladder (and recently claiming top spot with the 4870 X2), coupled with its competitive pricing is beginning to slowly pressure nVidia to answer the X2 with something competitive, and not just a rehash/rebin of their current line-up. While AMD's CPU division isn't doing too well, their chipset division has some very reliable, inexpensive solutions out there. Not to mention our local Friendly Giant, Intel with its great Core 2 line-up and chipsets. While I've used nVidia GPU's in the past, the way nVidia acts in public/press conferences comes off to me as simple arrogant, self-centered and supremely (over)confident in its abilities. Maybe this will be a nice wake-up call to their engineers to finally introduce a new GPU product (rather than a rehash).

20. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

I totally agree with what you say, as I am one of those people myself.
    I am building a top of the range gaming rig, however, "top of the range" seemed to change a lot, almost every week, one day I was going to press the order button on the 9800 GTX, the next day, whats that? whats a GTX 280, whoops, I must get that one is I want it to be top of the range now, but wait, whats coming out next week, hmm, I think I will wait.

Those were my thought but I am going with the GTX 280 anyway, but I understand the situation is because of people "waiting" for the next thing and therefore never buying the current thing.

Tags: Add Tags