1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell extends warranties for Nvidia flaw

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DOA Draven

DOA Draven What's a Dremel?

Interesting, an extension of 12 months warranty only? I thought the Sales of Goods Act covered known manufactoring faults for much longer than that?

3. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

I doesn't apply in computing because even perfect computing devices will break from repeated use

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Atleast Dell acknowledge the dodgy Nvidia graphics cards in their latops ?

Where does Apple stand on this issue. The latest macbook pro's all seem to use the 8600 series of 'flawed' GPU's.. Not touching any laptop with an nvidia mobile GPU until Im sure which are defective/which are not.

5. LA26

LA26 What's a Dremel?

I just purchased a M1530 and when I saw this post I sent a Dell representative an email asking was I receiving an additional warranty as well.

I was told that the problem has been fixed and replaced.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

There seems to be a lot of people asking if the Vostro 1500 is affected by this issue, as it's not included on the list. Anyone heard anything?

7. DOA Draven

DOA Draven What's a Dremel?

I understand that computing parts eventually fail due to repeated use, however nVidia have admitted to a known design fault that will terminate the products life earlier than would be expected, therefore this product is not suitable for the prurpose it is intended for.

The chipset is inherently faulty. The Sales of Goods Act covers computers and computer parts.

While I commend Dell in taking the first step and offering an extended warranty, the chipset is inherenty faulty, one would resonably expect a chipset to last at least 4-5 years average use, so if fails early because of the known fault, techincally you could still claim for replacemnt/fix as the unit is still under 'warranty' till six years old. Might be difficult to prove, and burden of proof will be unpon the consumer by then.

So by then you might as well go out and buy the latest and greatest new laptop anyhow. :)

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I have an XPS and hope it will last for another 3 years, if it does it will be fine. If the GPU dies, then I can jsut replace it as it is an MXM module. By that time the laptop will be outdated, so I could turn it into a low power server or HTPC and thus I could drop just about any mxm card I could get my hands on that can handle HD.

9. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

They've "fixed" the problem, by "replacing" Nvidia cards for ATI cards in their new Studio range :idea:

Unfortunately for the owners, there's nothing else they can do about laptops out there which have the problem cards in 'em - other than extend the warranty period :(

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I'm a bit concerned, here. The Vostro 1500 is not officially outlined, but it is a near-perfect replica of the 1510.

Tags: Add Tags