1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News G1 Android handset jailbroken

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

My first question is: What took them so long?

My second question is: Did anyone else read that as 'willy hackers' the first time around?

3. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

That didn't take long at all. On a side note, does an unlocked phone require a SIM card? Or does it work on any network?

4. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

very tempting, still no go for me though, I'll wait till it comes out for other networks properly, then I don't have to muck about losing the nice contract I already have.

5. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

I saw 'Willy Hackers' as well... :X

6. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

You didn't think you could just unlock a phone and run around making calls and sending texts and browsing the web on any network you want, did you? You still need a SIM Card, just lets you use your choice of network provider, rather than the phone manufacturers choice. So, an unlocked iPhone on ... Orange, instead of O2, or whatever.

7. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

certain providers (verizon, maybe others) do not use sim cards. activation is built into the phone

8. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

Really? That's just the US then.

So far as I know here in the UK, you can't do much without a SIM card.

9. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

The reason I asked is because Alltel, the carrier I have, doesn't use SIM cards in any phone. So in other words I can never get any good phones.

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Now they will have to stand the real test, if they will be bricked like the Iphones by a Firmware update or not.

Some american providers thought it would be the best way to stop you from unlocking the phone, but of course that was silly and just delayed it by a few days.

11. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

that has to be easiest exploit i've ever read about to date :D , funny how the security experts at google missed this, or was this deliberate? conspiracy? lol

12. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

You know, I was really hoping the whole "open" os would allow users to make changes to
    their own content, thus allowing an android user to unlock their own phone if they feel like it.

In the U.S., all phones are "supposed" to be unlocked at owner request, but the contracts people sign up with, usually release said authority. But I don't see anyone making apple or ATT unlock those phones, so it really frustrates me to no avail when nice phones come out for specific providers, but somehow get around the new law...

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Verizon, and probably Alltel too, use a totally different technology called Code Division Multiplexing somethingorother (CDMA) which is not compatible with GSM. May even be on a different frequency band.

14. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

Sprint, Verizon, and Alltel, all share the same CDMA networks utilizing a fully digital 1.9ghz transmission capability. Something which other providers (mainly due to cost and customer reasons used GSM, which also allows for full global capability with a sim card change). GSM is now starting to go digital along there frequency band, although at a slower rate because of the costs associated with doing so. I was hoping for a CDMA/GSM capable G1, but the sizes of the two receivers would increase the bulkiness of the phone.

15. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

I am standing amazed at the sight of companies believing users are willing to accept being restricted from full access to a piece of hardware they are paying. I never will. They should simply change their bloody business model so that it is unattractive to unlock a phone and use it with another mobile phone provider.

16. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

I think it's just a preference of UK shoppers. We'd rather be tied to a contract, and receive new hardware every x number of years. Its not that their business model is unattractive, but the market is so competitive and hardware/software which catches the public eye can sell very well.

If it can be unlocked and used on any network, surely it's still illegal? Motorola bought the rights to be first, and I'm pretty sure your network provider can tell which hardware you're using through your sim-card. Wouldn't it be breaking some gentleman's agreement within the provider circle?

It's exactly the same as when o2 bought the rights to be the exclusive provider for the Apple iPHONE. I don't want to sound like a conformist, but there's no all powerful consumer right to have both the hardware and provider you want. They may be shooting themselves in the foot, but Google [and the rest of the market] prefer money up front through exclusivity deals.

I personally like the look of the phone, though I've not seen Android in any great detail. I'll be getting a new mobile for Christmas, and the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic has already caught my eye. Perhaps, I'll splash out and get the one of the N-series.

Tags: Add Tags