1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Latest Sapphire 4850 X2 BIOS goes some way to silencing noise problems

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Silence over temps any day, as long as the graphics card doesn't outright die on me because of inadequate cooling...

3. raGe82

raGe82 What's a Dremel?

I would sacrifice idle temperature to make my PC a bit more silent. But still I don't understand how Sapphire managed to make a card that has big heatsink with two (quite big) fans and is very loud!

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm dropping 4xEK VGA-Supremes on mine. Silence.

5. headman

headman What's a Dremel?

Where can I get this new bios? My card is also very loud.

6. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

What is the point of cooling a graphics card way below what it's specced to tolerate just for the heck of having it cool? Sounds like magical thinking "When I cool it even more it will run even faster or live even longer ...". For me it's silence first as long as the graphics card stays well within it's heat tolerance specs.

KayInBlack, I have been watercooling for years to the extreme (even the HD), and I will never do it again. I did it for the sake of silence, and when I started it low noise or (near) silent computer cooling components simply didn't exist. That has changed completely, and the hassle you have with watercooling when you want to exchange a component (not to speak of the extra cost when you need a new cooler because the old doesn't fit anymore) imo isn't worth it at all, so I am done with water cooling for good.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

After my X1950XTX, I'm content to see powerful graphics cards idling around 55-60*C, but my current 4850 - while far from silent - isn't exactly noisy and (according to CCC) idles at 38*C. But I like my ambient temps fairly low - ~17*C, so that will have an effect there.

However I can't abide a lot of noise when the system is idling. Drives me spare. If I knew where to hunt in the BIOS for that card for the fan speeds, I'd do it myself. But until the card is fairly close to silent idle (and not jet-turbine-like at load the way the X1900XT was) I don't want to know. Which is a pity, as the 2GB version of this card tempts me every time I see it on special offer...

8. uberman

uberman What's a Dremel?

Exactly! I would like to know how to get this new BIOS also.
    I went to sapphire's support site but they didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned the new BIOS...

9. jsk

jsk What's a Dremel?

Tim can you guys offer up these bioses? It seems Sapphire doesn't acknowledge them what so ever, did they actually come from them?

Tags: Add Tags