1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Toshiba launches 1GHz smartphone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I think I just made a mess.
    Want!

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

That's pretty crazy. Although there are few things I can think of that would require 1.5Ghz in a phone.

4. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Want.

5. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

Um... battery life? Nice that you can do 720p and 22M triangles... but if the battery can only sustain this for 30 minutes until it dies then it isn't so useful. I thought the reasoning behind "under powered" chips in most portable devices is to extend battery life.

6. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

WOW... I wants soooo much :p

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Shame it runs windows :p

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Give it a while after release and I'm sure some wag'll put Debian or Android on it. :p

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

The interface looked pretty temperamental from the video I saw, although the hardware obviously has a lot of potential. I wouldn't be surprised if the XDA-Dev forumites manage to get WinMo 6.5 running on it when it comes out though- failing that there's still Android.

10. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

It does look very nice, but come Spring I think I will be chosing a htc hd, as the TG01 is mahusive, and I can imagine it wouldn't fit to jean pockets that well.

11. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Why ruin an otherwise well-spec'd system with a resistive touchscreen?

12. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Mm toasty hands during the winter when it'll be cold! Those gigahertz are bound to keep you nice and warm!

Too bad about the resistive touchscreen though :(

13. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

What makes me sad is that those are pretty much the specs of my current laptop :-(

14. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

It would beat the pants off of my 800mghz lappy too :( I didn't buy it for speed though.

Looks pretty nice, with hp too. If the battery lasts a resonable amount of time then I'll have one :)

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

nice, I'm waiting for my contract with my current cell phone provider to expire so I can switch to one with more coverage. That happens in October. Then I plan on getting a smart phone to replace my aging one. darn thing can only hold 43 txt messages.

16. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

:-O Going to need a battery the same size again strapped to the back but sounds like it may force down other 'smartphones' to a more sensible price point if this can really deliver.

Might just be the answer for me I have been struggling between gettiing an ultraportable with 3g card and a 3g pda smartphone for some time!

17. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Shame I have spent my phone budget for the foreseeable future :(

Why are people complaining about a resistive touchscreen? IMO they are by far the better, you can use a stylus, things don't have to be supersized, you can use it with gloves on etc.
    As far as I see it, the main advantages of a capacitative touch screen are multitouch (and you can get most of the useful features using something like the Touch Diamond's capacitative panel at the bottom for zooming, or the X1's optical joystick) and not answering the phone accidentally in your pocket.

18. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

"fold on the go" the thing would melt...
    Still, be interesting to see how much this costs, looking for a smart phone myself in April, who knows

19. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Resistive touchscreens are mushy, inaccurate and unresponsive, for one (or three).

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

OverKILL!!!

when i look at what i use my phone for, texting and calling, i hardly understand why its got a colour screen. lol! Camera are always poor in my view as i usually have a compact digi or or my SLR on me.

Tags: Add Tags