1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo blocks sales of R4 carts in Japan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. NeMoD

NeMoD What's a Dremel?

I have a R4, and I love it, sorry Nintendo :)

3. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I don't have one, but am now interested :D

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

One's on it's way to me now :)

5. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

I got a DS for a long coach trip recently and everyone on in the DS home-brew community advised against getting one anyway as they are no longer supported by the people that made them. I got an EDGE card instead and it works fine.

Nintendo will get rid of one and 30 more are going pop up in it place.

6. UltraKev

UltraKev What's a Dremel?

Did Nintendo ever figure out why the DS is so popular? Perhaps its something to do with the R4....

7. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

i have a DS-TT its great, im not sure how nintendo can claim they lose more than $975 million USD to piracy every year? If anything all the R4 and other cards like it did was boost hardware sales, id say there a pretty big relation to the amount of people who have a card, to those who wouldnt have bought the console in the first place without it, dont know if that makes sense, but im sure you can work out what im trying to say :p

8. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I love my R4.
    I still have to finish off playing through Shining Force II and Landstalker on the thing, but the Megadrive emulator is pretty good on the thing. I want to track down a SNES emulator next. I like being able to take retro games with me for getting stuck in meetings or waiting for appointments. The only homebrew DS game I have is pocket physics though so far (just got Colors! as well and I'm having fun with it [more fun than painting with my tablet])
    the reason I got a DS initially was cause I wanted to play my GBA games on a console that had a goddamn backlight on the LCD, but then found out about the R4 and have barely played any of my old GBA games since.

9. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

This is actually a good thing,the R4 cards lacks quite a bit when comparing it to today more modern cards like the Acecard2, rom support for instance has alot of newer titles not working (note original R4 Firmware not clone),,no sdhc support(talking about original,not clone) and it has no build in 3 in 1 support etc... But the worst thing of all is that ALL the R4s sold today are clones and who knows how good they will perform in the long run or how long they will last :(

PS if you want nothing other then homebrew get a Dingoo A-320 :)

10. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Thank God.

I'm glad they stopped this, cause if they let this go on any longer it really could have killed the DS! I mean, think about how popular the DS could have been if the R4 wasn't holding it back!

I heard a rumour that Nintendo was almost going to go out of business, cause it hurt them so bad...

In our modern corporate world, the tale of Robin Hood really is dead, isn't it?

11. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

It's not really Nintendo that suffers as much as the software publishers / creators who spend on development and royalities etc...

Probably why DS games cost so damn much imo.....

12. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Amazing how socially acceptable piracy is, isn't it?

Tags: Add Tags