1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia releases ForceWare 182.50 drivers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Apr 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Even for a small change it can definitely make a difference. However, i think that in this case the change is too small for someone to notice in a fast paced game.

--edit--
    Just noticed the WIC has some problems with the tree shadows. Seems as if they still have somethings to work out

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What do you mean? The shadow that is cast over the tree in front of it? :)

It makes quite a difference and I'll give it a try in HL2 but as soon as frame rates are below 40 on average this means you can easily slip in the U30 area and as with many features it's not worth it in my opinion.

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Hmmm looks fun, havent updated in a while so what the hell :p

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

185.65 Beta also released on nvidia site, with improved performance from 182 series.

will test them out on next restart.....

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

i like it.

7. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Why link to a US version of the Vista 32 drivers?

Surely the international (UK) drivers would make more sense? And I suspect a lot of bit-tech readers will be on Vista 64

8. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Is it just me or does the 182.50 64bit version not have it? I have Vista 64bit and Geforce 8800 Ultra, and it isn't in the options? Is this not for my GPU or only 32bit? Also any feedback on the 185.65 drivers? Do they have this feature?

9. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Are you sure this is in 182.50. Its not commented anywhere, but has been added to 185.65. That is why its missing from mine?

10. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Just had a look around in my room before i looked at the pics, I noticed the slightly darker corners of the room even though the light isnt being blocked. then I looked at the screenshots and understand completly what it does. Maybe a small change and hardly noticable, but its a huge step to making video games more realistic.

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Any sign of Windows 7 64bit drivers?

12. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Just install the 64bit vista ones

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I've found a good set of drivers for vista 64 and been using those for everything.. they suck for benching in vantage or 3dmark.. but in games and video out to the hd / iq is good and the performance is above what I need at 1080p even on newer games like fear 2.. it's the 177.83's

just beat fear 2 other night.. game looked really nice at 8q- this stuff with the shadows sounds interesting- but I found if you force 8q aa 16x af and turn off the texture filtering optimizations in control panel, hardware clamp, quality, multisample, and don't use threaded optimization, vsync on with triple buffering, gamma correction on.. games look amazing and immersive compared to 4x aa default everything most peeps run.. tomb raider underworld is a perfect example of the 8q ownage- same as mass effect.. witcher even looks sick and can handle the 16q on a 200 series.. it's really the difference between looking at the game and saying nice textures and 'holy $#%', nice when what your seeing is what you built the thing for =]

I know I've talked alot of smack about nvidia- it's not because the hardware is crap though, it's everything else that's a mess!~ running a gtx 260 (the 192) oc'd on a e6600@3.3.. fear was too new and wasn't in the driver menu- had to add it into the control panel to make the tweaks.. you don't really need nvidias optimizations from driver to driver if your setup is fast enough- and alot of times.. you've probably noticed this with older stuff.. running the older drivers and bios can get you better performance as well..

this is where my tin foil hat comes in.. lol so bear with me.. I think companys like nvidia sabotage the newer drivers to work well on the current boards and stick a monkey wrench in the older (via used to do this too, but via arena would keep some of the older drivers around)- if you can find the right drivers for your hardware that work best- keep em on backup if you plan to not upgrade.. just a heads up to vista 64 users on the 177.83's- the iq is good which is all I care about on my gaming rig.. not sure about sli performance though (only run single card)

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Took me four goes to get an uncorrupt copy of the Vista32 version from the UK site, though the speed at over 2Gibs was a bit splendid.

15. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Is it just me or is there no ambient occlusion mapping in the 182.50 drivers?

It seems to me that it's only in the 185.65 beta vista drivers.

I installed 182.50 and can see no mention of AOM in the control panel anywhere, nor, tellingly, in the release notes.

It *is* however mentioned in the release notes for the 185.65 vista beta drivers.

182.50:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_182.50_whql.html

185.65 (XP):
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_185.65_beta.html

185.65(Vista x64):
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_185.65_beta.html

Or have I missed something?

I'll install the XP beta drivers and see if the AOM option is there.

EDIT:
    ====
    Sorry to robyholmes above, didn't see your posts - Same content as mine, basically.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2009
  16. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

yeah i downloaded the latest for xp, but ambient occlusion isn't mentioned anywhere.

17. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Ambient Occlusion is only available for Vista

18. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

The 185.65 beta for vista x64 won't install for me. I get a BSOD during installation. Reboot, the control panel is missing. Tried reinstalling the same driver again, this time it doesn't BSOD. Reboot, nothings changed.

So I went back to 182.50.
    I wanted to give this feature a go :(

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

HL2 example looks shite.

At the angle that you're supposedly looking at it, given that it's in doors and likely to be overhead lighting, the phone box shadow would not get lighter as it gets closer to the phone box.

Also, I think the 'darkness' is over the top on all wall corner examples shown - If I look at my corner it is not black. Darker, but not black. Looks like someone's gone crazy with some sharpies.

Foliage looks fine, though.

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Tags: Add Tags