1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Collins launches Mini DisplayPort screens

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Seeing as most Mac users buy them for the "brand"... I doubt they'll be many that can force themselves to settle for anything less.

I don't know how much difference there is in cost when compaired to a similarly spec'd Apple display but I'm sure the Elitist's won't be buying them.

3. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo What's a Dremel?

Considering the striking similarities to both the displays AND the website I have to wonder if this company will survive the ever watching eye of Apples law team?

4. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

^^ will they not be paying rolaties for using apples port, so apple wont care

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Display port isn't apple's invention is it? They are just the first to adopt it I think...

They look cool, but I bet they are incredibly tacky feeling. If apple gets one thing right with their products, it's how solid they all feel.

6. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

what is the advantage in using mini displayport over normal displayport in a desktop monitor?

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Even if they are paying royalties, Apple will care deeply if they consider sales are being diverted from their own products to lookalikes which infringe Apple's design rights.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

@will
    DisplayPort isn't Apple's invention, but MiniDisplayPort is. They've opened up the license so anybody can make MDP equipment without paying a royalty, so it's actually quite useful for providing tiny tiny display ports on such things as laptops.

The big difference between these cheap TN+ screens and Apple's S/H-IPS panels is exactly that, the panels. Oh, and the LED backlight on the Apple, which also ramps the price up over a CCFL. Apple's 24" ACD is expensive, but compared to other LED, IPS screens it is actually competitive.

9. fodder

fodder Minimodder

If you own a newer apple laptop that uses the miniport you don't have to pay apple to get an adapter to use every other monitor in the world. You do still have to buy one if you want to use a projector though.

10. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

You can bash on apple all you want, but their displays are gorgeous. Whether or not they are worth the money is just like non apple screens. Some people just want the pixels, others care about color accuracy and black levels among other things. I don't have an apple screen because I can't afford it, but I've seen them and they look great. Now apple users can pick a crap screen just like pc users. For the record I use both platforms about 50% of the time.

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I've not seen an apple screen in action, I haven't even been on a MAC in about 10 years (and that one was not mine). I am typically willing to spend a premium these days on better quality screens, but there are many people out there that are on a budget. I think its a good idea for a company to provide cheaper/larger screens (albeit at a lower quality) than those sold by Apple.

12. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Just a warning that this might be a scam. Link It seems that arstechnica also had this story and its from some guy who is wanted in the US for scamming people for apple accessories or something

Tags: Add Tags