1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gran Turismo to get car damage "soon"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..A feature that should really have been added back with GT3 A-spec.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

To be honest, as cool as realistic car damage is... there are times I just want to hammer round a track not having to worry about whether misjudging that corner by a fraction of a second is going to convert my virtual car into a pile of scrap.

And when I do want realistic car damage... well for arcade racing there is GRID, and for pure-sim there is GTR/GTR2/GTR Evo.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

great, expect a world of muppets to throw it into reverse while on the grid -_-

5. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Forget the car damage, release the dammed game already!

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

GT has been barking about that it has been a real driveing sim for years.... but its alway lacked the detail of PGR and Forza when it comes to crash damage and the phsyics behind them, so its about time they stepped up to the claim finally.

7. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Nope, not soon enough. Grid is better, forza is better, PGR is better. Gran Turismo is boring, but pretty.

8. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

If they hosted the online game I'd be all for it, P2P damage would be horrible... esp at F1 car speeds and what damage does to an F1 car in 'reality'!

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

LFS anyone?

10. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

I could take or leave car damage really. It makes crashing nice, but the whole point is not to crash...

THE best thing ever is GRID's rewind feature.

Playing GTR Evolution at the moment & loving it.

11. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Seems like i'll be getting a ps3 and gt5 when the full version is released.

12. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I haven't played Grid, but I agree on PGR and Forza being better than GT. PGR is my favorite racing game series by far.

13. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

As stupid as it may sound, when playing games with sweet damage such as Grid I find myself purposely side scraping and shunting other cars for the pure fun of it!

14. liratheal

I know exactly what you mean - I do that too >.>

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If I want to see car damage, I'll play Burnout kthxvmuch.

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It they do put it in the game then I'll most definitely be turning it off (if they do actually have it as an option). The reason I've loved the GT series so much and spent what seems like an inordinate amount of my time playing it, is because of the vehicle mechanics and realism in that respect, not crash damage. It was something that I wanted when I was 12 and thought it would be cool, but not any more. The GT games have always had a really unique feel to them, and I think that adding crash damage will change the whole dynamic of the game for the worse. Of course, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, and there's little that has come out of that series that has disappointed me thus far.

Now where's my order for GT4 Mobile which I placed 4 years ago? Oh wait, I sold my PSP. Silly PD.

17. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

That is the whole point about HAVING car damage: "NOT to crash".

The current flaw in Gran Turismo is that there is no detterant from crashing (due to the fact that cars are indestructible). The lack of car damage also affects driving techniques. So when approaching a corner, rather than brake with your cars brakes, people tend to use the car in front to brake, which is not realistic driving at all. Another tendency is to use the side walls to turn into a corner or bounce the car off the barriers around a bend, rather than brake properly and then steer into the bend.

Racing games without good car damage promote lazy driving. You might as well close your eyes and keep on the accelerator.

With a good penalty system in place for rammers and cheaters, realistic car damage in a game like Gran Turismo can completely alter the way the game is played and the gameplay will be more enjoyable and more closely resemble real life technical racing, instead of the current "realistic driving" simulated cars throwing themselves around the tracks like kids toys.

18. liratheal

QFT.

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've always played GT with the aim of making perfect laps. I found that bouncing off scenery or other cars was detrimental and I can't see how I could cheat by doing that as I always ended up coming off worse. I found it encouraged a 'practice makes perfect' ethos.

20. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

And none of those are real sims, lol. GTR, live for speed on PC are much m,ore pure sim. These console racers are Arcade racers masquerading as sim racers. hell, you can win in Forza or GT just by having a faster car then the AI for a particuluar track despite any skill.

Tags: Add Tags