1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate responds: SSDs still on for late 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Oh dear Richard, you're going to land yourself in hot water asking too many questions :p. It's worrying that there hasn't been a breakthrough mass-market SSD yet, but I guess the technology just isn't there yet. With all of Seagate's 'experience' you would think they would focus on this but it just looks like they just want their name represented on the SSD shelves.

Also, what is a 'storage ecosystem' :p. Last time I remember there were no carnivores and herbivores and green plants in my PC.

3. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

As much as I love the idea of a SSD in my system, the industry is going to have to find a way of drastically increasing capacity, beyond simply decreasing node sizes. With 1.5 TB hard drives available for little over £100, and 2 TB parts already dropping in price, mechanical drives are not dead yet.

4. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

I thought of that my self. Although it would be nice to have my hard drives evolve into SSD's out of their own free will.

5. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Green plant drive http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/27/western-digitals-2tb-caviar-green-hard-drive-launches-gets-pre/

and carnivore drive http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/30/western-digital-velociraptor-drive-gets-reviewed/

Couldn't think of any herbavores off the top of my head, but you can still get solar'istic with a http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.8027a91c954924ae4bda9f30eac4f0a0/

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

And reliability of solid state media as well.

Now, while I know that hard drives aren't going to last forever, I very much doubt that an SSD will last as long as the HDD in my hardware firewall has - that drive is now nearly 14 years old, and has been doing 24/7 duty with logs being near-constantly written to it for more than the last 9.

That being said, I asked SuperTalent about availability in the UK of a 64GB SSD I saw on NewEgg for $195. There is one UK retailer of it, and they want £225 for the drive. Now, I know we live in R.O.B, and that the value of the Sterling has taken a hammering over the last few months... but £225 when it's (equivalently) £120 (+ state sales tax) in the US just makes me want to spit.

Tags: Add Tags