1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Acer announces Ferrari netbook

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

An extra £100 or so for a Ferrari sticker?
    just go on eBay and get yourself a sticker selection for £5 or less and getting customising something better :D

3. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

my mate had an Acer Ferrari about 4 years ago... with an SSD! he never told us how much it cost him but it was a super sexy laptop. had a carbon fibre screen surround if i remember

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

They're going to need a monster battery to give it much of a portable life-span. I'm not doubting they have, but I imagine will all the proper bells and whistles to make it truly usable, it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Eurgh I need to read slower....

I read the title as 'Acer announces Ferrari notebook'. Hence a look of confusion swept across my face when I read in the article:

Followed by:

Its going to be a long afternoon....

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This.

I'm trying to see the need for this, and I'm at a little bit of a loss. One doesn't generally look for a netbook which has uber-specs; one generally looks for a machine that is capable of web-browsing, email and possibly video playback; the key aspects are portability, power efficiency, screen clarity (why use it anywhere if you can't see it?) and battery life - at least by my standards. Even the stock battery in my Mini 9 affords nearly 4 hours worth of use. There are traditional notebooks on the market which already pack a punch when it comes to specs, have a bigger screen and probably a fairly chunky battery. Never mind the fact that it would probably be far better value for money to go for a traditional notebook.

7. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I'm only waiting for a netbook with 1080p output, HDMI out, and the ability to play EVERY media extension known to man.

However, this netbook is very sexy.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2009
  8. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

AMD / ATI Netbook equals instant success! This is something I would actual buy. I hope it comes in a Nissan GT-R version!! (Ferrari suck)

9. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 What's a Dremel?

As far as raping brand image goes, this is almost as bad as VW taking a Chrysler Town and Country and rebadging it for themselves or Porsche making the Cayenne (never the less a 3 point something liter V6 diesel). Way to go Ferrarri!

And Acer: shame on you too, although the reason should be obvious.

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

this should do it.

Also, anybody else noticed that the ferrari badge is upside-down when the lid is open? That's silly!

on closer inspection, the bit-photo appears to be a mockup. the TR pics are much nicer.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As the caption says, the article image is of the older Acer Ferrari 1100 notebook, not the new netbook.

12. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Lol the guy who is caught in the reflection looks a little overly excited about the new netbook :p

13. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

It shouldn't be too bad. I have a Gateway LT3103u with similar specs (1.2GHz single core Athlon & ATI x1270 GPU instead) with a 6-cell battery that lasts about 5.5 hours. The extra core doesn't add much extra power drain (probably around 3W extra) and that will certainly be offset by the more power efficient 780G chipset and 3200 GPU so I'd wager it'd perform in the same ballpark.

Granted 5.5 hours isn't great but it's plenty for me (I'm a college student) and I'm sure plenty for others.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

huh is it me or is Acer trying to copy ASUS more and more.

Acer has Ferrari
    ASUS has Lamborghini

huh I wonder who will get Porsche, Corvette and Aston Martin lol

15. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

If I'm not mistaken, that's not 1100 but 3400 in the picture.

16. xprodancer

xprodancer life is like a box of chocolates

i must say its a very attractive netbook! i would not however pay that price!as someone stated an extra £100 for red paint and a sticker, hell no! but nether the less it probably does everything that people wants from a netbook so theres not realy an argument about this product! what i can say tho is i bet ferrari loves and owners will have one!

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

First one to get an Aston Martin netbook has my money.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I second that, Aston Martin is my dream car, second to that is Ferrari.

19. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

As an owner for an Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi for ~4.5 years. I can attest that although the sticker price is higher on them than regular laptops; there does seem to be a difference in quality. Mine has outlasted all my University friends laptops and is still my regular, everyday notebook. Granted its old; but the construction feels just as solid as it was on day one. The rubberized body, the carbon fiber lid (mostly for show I guess), the large, curved keyboard. I can't complain. As for price? Well, that's a valid point, it is steep. I guess I'm an exception in that scholarships paid for a lot of my new Uni toys back then.

20. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

super netbook? meh...

I just can't wrap my head around the whole "performance net-book" issue. For me, they're simply too small to make any serious gaming or media playback truly enjoyable. Couple that with the fact that on an 11.6" screen, it's nigh impossible to tell the difference between 1080p, 720p and even 480p, why pay for the premium price when there are 15.6" laptops out there with much more oomph for the same price and it simply isn't an appetizing deal at all. Yes you can make the case that it's easier cart around the smaller net-book than to haul an over sized laptop, but not at that price. It just seems like a complete waste of money to me. If I want true HD playback, I want at a minimum my 42" LCD. If I'm on the road and simply HAVE to watch some HD content, I can't do it on anything less than my wife's 17" laptop. Not even my 15.6" will do. I like net-books for what they were originally intended for, which isn't gaming and HD capability because it's simply too small to be enjoyable for me. Most of the people I know feel the same way.

Tags: Add Tags