News Counter-Strike creator starts new project

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I remember the vehicles! They were awesome. Mostly for the way they'd spontaniously fall through the floor, only to reappear at the other end of the map with you still inside. Result!

3. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. Even though he has left valve, I hope it appears on Steam at some bargain weekend price.

4. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

I enjoyed the breath lived protect the VIP maps and Escape maps, but thats just me! I also enjoyed the riot shield!

5. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I think he needs to call it CS:TI otherwise it won't compete with the originals runaway success.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2009
  6. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Can't help but think this is going to be a failure - a pipe-dream that won't fully hit fruition to how he wants it.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I doubt he'll be able to use the CS name AshT, but either way it should be pretty good. :D

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I think it might be a success, if he created counter strike surely his new game would be in its own right a good one.

Problem he might face is moving away from CS, lets hope he's not a one hit wonder!

9. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Looking forward to how this turns out. I think it's unlikely to pull the dedicated players away from CS, although it might build up a seperate fanbase in the same way that the 'other' massive game (TF2) has carved out it's niche.

It will have to be different enough to make it worthwhile, I suppose vehicles will see to that if they're included. Hmm... mentioning that has reminded me of how much I used to enjoy BF2142's vehicles. They're definitely a welcome addition in a game of that type, but they were right not to include it in CS, it just wouldn't have worked and been too much of a game-changer.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Sounds intriguing. The game I still play most these days isn't CS, but rather CZ. CZ improves qute a bit upon CS, while retaining basically the exact same gameplay. Never could get into CS:S, however.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I started playing CS with the first alpha, with beta 2.1 obsessively until the end at 1.6 then switched to CS:S. Hell, I played 1.5 until the day they switched off all WON servers.
    To me that sounds great. The early CS versions were awesome and revolutionary! If he can pull of anything close to that it'll be amazing. I have to say though, I doubt it.

Off topic: Anyone remembers back in the days [up to beta 3 I think it was] how weapons stayed where you dropped them even after the end of the round? I still remember building little squads of 2-3 people to "harvest" in areas where there happened a lot of fighting. And I still remember the M4A1 with silencer and scope. THE UBER-WEAPON if the ever was one!

Good memories....

12. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Nothing new but it would be interesting to find out what he comes up with. I remember ye old CS days, if it wasn't for those damn pesky kids I would stay be playing it.

Does anyone remember the Action Quake II mod?, pretty similar to CS also the Wiki mentions Minh worked on it

[​IMG]

13. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

It's all about the maps, unless TI has some decent maps, it'll bomb.

Haven't played CS in years, the ads in 1.6 was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
    Still a regular Source player although they should have ported more CS maps to Source. Man, I'd kill for 747 or Vegas in Source.
    Thang you, thang you very much! =^>

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Action Quake was fun. Especially when you shot someone and he was bleeding to death trying to get away so he could use bandages but you just stuck to his ass. :D

Oh, and damn! CS is ugly nowadays! ;)

15. sc.uk^cRoSsFir3

sc.uk^cRoSsFir3 What's a Dremel?

Ahhh, SwattClan back in the day mate! Still got the videos hehe

As for this game i agree. It will be one to keep an eye on

16. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

used to play CS all the time back in college.. started playing during beta 7 until about 1.2 or 1.3 .. good luck to Minh on this... might be interesting if there's lots of crowds.. that's sounds neat

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah my old roommate played action quake.. it's where everyone who couldn't hang in osp duel went :blush: I gotta admit weapons mod was pretty fun though

18. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

I love cs but I love global ops more since you can customize your gun... I'll keep an eye out for this one, it looks promising...

19. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

It's coming from South Korea, so this might end up being a microtransaction game.

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

played CS from about beta 5.1 to 1.6

i wish they didn't add jump fatigue tho.

I remember the days of shields and vehicles, both were very buggy and exploitable, but I think that was more due to the limitation of the engine not the concept. Although the shield was VERY op for clan matches.

be interesting to see what happens. nothing has ever come close to replacing CS not even CS:S. be nice to have a game that recreates that magic

Tags: Add Tags