1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK game retailers angry at supermarket prices

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

It's a capitalist economy. If Tesco can afford to get the game and sell it at that price then they can. Sure it sucks for the small retailers, but hasn't it gone that way with everything to a degree?

3. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Meh, game retailers are expensive. I buy all my games from play.com and Steam where they are almost always cheaper. If the supermarkets are able to sell the games for such a low price then it really shows what a huge markup the games have on them.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'd also like to point out that supermarkets are open longer hours than game stores so it's more likely you can pick up that game you wanted after work :)

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Lol, what the hell are these retailers thinking? Crying foul if the competition undercuts them? Hellooo

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Well, supermarkets often sell things at less than cost, in order to get more customers in. Or maybe just a little over cost. As my store manager once said "we can sell beans until the cows come home, but we won't make any money". Alcohol is a great example at selling under cost to get customers in to the store.

As for small retailers complaining and wanting the law changed; **** you! I want the law channged too! Selling me a game that has already been opened for full price is outrageous. Discs all thrown together etc. How am I supposed to trust I'm not being given one of the second hand copies by accident?

Frankly, they are all as bad as each other.

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i'll have to be honest i'm not very frugal with my game purchases if i see something i want i will either pre order it or download it on steam maybe i should be a bit more frugal if these sort of savings can be made

however take dragon age for example i really want that so i have preordered it on amazon just for the fact i know i will get it on release day

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

A Message to these retailers - Adapt or die.

Simple really.

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

although the low prices are nice i just wonder what the country would be like if we still had pharmacies, post offices, book stores , clothes stores (to a lesser extent), the local butcher / green grocer

10. rollo

rollo Modder

I got it for the £25 was happy enough to pay that did the weekly shop at the same time, chips is overpriced anyway

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I think crowded, mainly.

On a serious note, here in Hungary we still have a few of those old-school shops and they're really nice. We'll probably have butcher shops for quite some time still, as they're the main and sometimes only source for most of the traditional hungarian stuff, unless you want to go to a farm and butcher some pigs for yourself.

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

We still have these?! *confused*

13. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

tough, the only word that comes to mind.

what service does a game shop provide that a supermarket cant these days? other than pre owned games. its all game/game stop's around where i live and they killed off the small game shops, so why should we have pity on them now?

consumer is king

14. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

I don't know what they're getting all worked up about to be honest, a GAME store manager has told me before now that they make a lot more money on preowned games anyway (which the supermarkets don't even dabble in).

Plus, my experience of these mega low supermarket deals is that they are sold out in minutes (probably because they don't stock that much in the first place) so you end up paying more in the game retailers cos they actually have the titles in stock, albeit at a higher price.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it!

Steve

15. countstex

countstex What's a Dremel?

I guess it's different where you live, but all these shops still exist near where I live. There is certainly less of them now, but that just means those left are more apprciated. People still support their local stores, because they are always closer and friendlier than a supermarket, but they will still use the supermarket when they want to buy 'a lot of everything' There's room for both.

As for the pricing, supermarkets are well known for loss pricing. Best way to deal with it is to go buy the super low offer, and walk out the store with nothing else. They can;t stop you, and it;s defeated their aims.

16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

To sell things cheap, make customers happy, so they come back again and again. Yeah they are well aboard the fail train on this one.

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Yeeh... mmmm Tesco have started to look at pre-owned trade ins too...

18. countstex

countstex What's a Dremel?

But if I'm only buying their loss-leaders, and am consious of their aims then the only winner is my bank balance. Not to say I don't shop in Tesco, but I would just as readily go to ASDA or Sainsbury's for a 'big shop' Supermarket favoritsm gets you nowhere, they too big to care what you think.

19. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

Think I might head down Tesco's tonight, buy all the copies of FIFA10 they have, and make me some money on ebay

/joke

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Promotion finished on Sunday Night... unlucky!

Tags: Add Tags