1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: Games will set the standard for 3D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Oh gods no.

No.

Just no.

Games in 3D? How in the blue blazes will playing games that the general consumer plays like Wii Fit/Tetris/Pong/Brain Age enhance the entertainment experience?!

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Let's just hope this doesn't ruin all production value, photography, cinematography etc. as has been the case in the film industry.

4. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

5. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

If the good aspects of games nowadays (overall good graphics, good storyline, good gameplay etc) don't get diminished by this move, then I'm not too fussed.

I'm not all that bothered by watching films in 3D (especially since I sometimes experience motion sickness when watching some parts of 3D films!!), however as long as it's not like most games try to implement 3D and mess up the 'important' parts of games, I don't mind too much.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

3D is fine and all, but it adds about 2% to the overall experience if done well, and can massively detract if done badly (see Clash of the Titans remake).

Given games offer a much more 3D experience than a film by the sheer nature of the medium (Doom feels more 3D than Avatar did, just because you can move around), I'm highly unsure of what it would bring to the table in anything other than a funky graphical effect.

7. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Can't say im a fan of 3D..

This is a perfect example of other technologies, that should be chosen instead..
    Youtube.. v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

8. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

3D makes sense on a massive cinema screen, but it's virtually useless on normal-sized TVs.

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

BTW has any one seen a 3D film in IMAX? Is it better ore worse then "normal" Cinema 3D?

10. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I disagree - 3d looks great - though you dont realy want to play with it on very often.

11. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

worse casue you still have to wear the glasses and after a while your ears and eyes hurt way before they normally would

12. Skippylee

Skippylee Now then!

Yeah, I saw Avatar in 2D and in 3D at an IMAX. I found the IMAX screen way too big and after about an hour or so I started to feel my eyes straining. Thinking about it I should have sat as far back as possible, that may have helped. All that being said, it was amazing in 3D at the IMAX!

13. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Ah you beat me to it, this is the kind of thing I would like to see microsoft come out with the Natal (since, I believ, that is able to identify and track your head, something that isnt essential to the game but gives it a "wow" factor without overcomplicating the game

Playing FPS and being able to peek round corners by leaning rather than pressing a button would add to the immersion of the game. Getting a 3D teabag in halo would not....

14. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

pRon will decide the standard for 3D, just as it decides the format for everything else......

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

How does 3D work for those who are blind in one eye like my friend? Its a step forward bringing 3D to the home market but its 2 steps backwards letting "non arrogant" sony do it. TBH tho, like blu ray, games consoles is the way to push adoption. I hope ATI start to push 3D for themselves.

16. Skippylee

Skippylee Now then!

Unfortunately it doesn't! Your friend will just see a 2D image.

I've found this site that will show you if you can see in 3D!

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

life doesnt work in 3d if your blind in one eye - doh

18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Had that problem when going to see clash of the titans. Everywhere near us and in the city centre where only showing it in 3D =/

19. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Glad to see 3D catching on. I hope all the whiners will give gaming in 3D a try before bashing it.

20. AndyCubb

AndyCubb Victory is mine!

Ive not had the "pleasure" of 3D yet but as long as they have an "On/Off" mode in the game then great, Im all for moving forward. Just dont want the bollox of either buying the 3D or normal version of the game, just gimme vanilla with the option for a sprinkling of 3D.

Tags: Add Tags