1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mac OS X installed on tablet

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

As much as the iPad should have been closer to this, I still wouldn't want one. Good work on the hack though!

3. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Its nice, but I would guess that OSX would chug a bit on an atom processor (and failr to play high def video) in comparison to the performance of iOS on the A4 processor.

Apple were right to use a non-desktop OS on the iPad as a desktop OS is tailored for use with a mouse, not a finger! What they got wrong however was crippling the pad by not including a camera/USB/SD card slot in the device

4. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

I think it's been established that traditional OS UIs are not suited for fingers and touch screens, but impressive stuff indeed.

5. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Like all these products, the next version will have all the whistles and bells on and make the ones purchased already completely useless. Not having a camera/usb/sd slot was a monumentle error on their part, one which I'm sure they will correct and increase the price by another £100 just for the hell of it.

6. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

True, along the same lines of discussing Apples pricing levels I am very annoyed with their Mac mini pricing as I would love to get one as a HTPC but when its $699 in the US and £649 in the UK (even taking into account VAT and transport) I just cant make myself pay the apple tax.

Knowing apple the Rev 2.0 of the iPad will probably only have the camera (no SD slot or USB because then they cant sell you the add on) and then in the announcement Job's will cream themselves that it also now has 512mb ram to bring it in line with the iPhone and make it even more "magical"..... sigh

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

That's a tablet I'd buy, with a full OS. Needs some tweaking for UI, but regardless, if it's meant to be a mobile computer, I want it to have a full OS.

8. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

Acer Aspire Revo dual core version works fantastically as an HTPC and about half the price of the mini. 1080p MKV's and YouTube is fully accelerated by NVIDIA ION and is snappy running Boxee (even works with a Media Center IR receiver!). Multicard reader, 6 USB's, eSATA, Gigabit ethernet, HDMI and SPDIF, what more could you possibly need?

9. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Sorry it's not on topic but what's it like with VOB files? and HD playback?

Tags: Add Tags