1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel leaks Medfield CPU details

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

If Intel has hopes for all these features that these chips will run on, then it will be interesting to see how much power they use.

'Yeah, I've got DVB-T on my phone, but the battery life means I can only watch a half hour programme before the battery dies!'

Last edited: 13 Aug 2010
  3. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Are you sure those numbers in the the 3rd patagraph are supposed to be square mm? If so, thats's one big ass chip.....

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's what the document claims, but it's possibly a typo in the original.

5. Vigilante

Vigilante What's a Dremel?

It's neither. The 4200mm^2 size is in reference to the total size of the pcb required to host the platform, the "motherboard" it sits on, not the size of the chip. They haven't mentioned the size of the pcb required for the new chips, but I would assume somewhere south of 3500.

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I hope they get curbstomped by ARM.

7. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

This is excellent news and yet another part of the industry to get the proper treatment of quality and the reliability of Intel. Not only will this do exactly what it says on the tin but will put a few including ARM in a bit of a panic sweat that Intel are taking their gloves off in their ring!

You will all benefit from this in one way or the other so fangirlism aside you have to be happy about this positive step by Intel.

8. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

If they run in a handset the size of a Nokia 6303, with battery life lasting a week and not a day, i might be interested.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not those ones - the *other* measurements, which state the size of the SoC as 144mm².

10. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

You're right Vigilante, I was getting my square numbers muddled. 144mm^2 is only 12mm in length which isn't bad. I think performance per watt might be an issue of there's still though when compaired to ARM's designs.

Tags: Add Tags