1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MeeGo ported to Android handsets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 27 Sep 2010.

1. julieb

julieb What's a Dremel?

2. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

As usual, device manufacturers are evil pricks who don't like hackers messing around with their stuff :(

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Evil pricks ? So they make a CPU and GPU for one specific use, develop drivers for that use, you use the CPU/GPU on unsupported configuration and it's the manufacturer who is "evil *****", because they didn't invest time and money into combination they don't sell the product for ?

It's like complaining that your diesel car doesn't work with petrol...

xrain likes this.
  4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Don't really see the point. going from MeeGo to Android, maybe. But not vice-versa!

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Equally Linux based? Hell no. Every single thing that goes into MeeGo is contributed back upstream into the Linux kernel, whereas Android is primarily Java VM based, where all improvements are limited to Android. The only thing Linux about Android is the kernel.

6. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Not a huge expert in this area, but seeing as theres a 99% open-sourced build for the HTC Desire, could many of the drivers be easily ported over? Or is it too different? :eek:

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Nice to see free software continuing its tendency to produce half-finished half-arsery which doesn't actually work.

I don't mean to be unnecessarily harsh, but for christ's sake. Usually I tend to try and finish a project to the point where it's possible for someone to, ooh, I don't know, actually use it? And I prefer to do that before I start leaping around shouting about how clever I am.

8. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

lol Rhodes. you wouldn't hear much about anything from the FOSS crowd then. hehe
    They need the attention to get more developers interested in it. You know. with FOSS you can only solve a problem by adding more developers to the mix. There is just no other way.

Tags: Add Tags