1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fallout: New Vegas PC specs announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Don't think many people will struggle with those specs. I hope it looks better than Fallout 3 because that looked pretty low res before applying the HD texture packs.

3. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

No great shock there given that it uses the Oblivion engine (Gamebryo I think). Oblivion had some multicore capability too...

4. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

^^
    Of course not. They will be prolly using that modified crap engine for oblivion.

The best part on this article is the fact that the dev team is formed by "a number" of interplay former employees.
    That must be a good new.

5. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I can't even complete the add-ons due to the fact the game is so incredibly unstable.

:(

Hope that doesn't happen with this.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

mine didn't crash that often :rolleyes:

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Mine never crashed.

As for the spec I haven't heard that they were adding any more bells or whistles to the engine so if your PC can run the first then it'll be able to run this.

8. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Mine didn't crash until I started the add-ons. It's really annoying as Fallout 3 is definitely one of the best games I've ever played.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Never had any problems with Fallout 3 including all of the DLC's.

The needed spec's are not that high really.

I've pre ordered it ages ago, I believe it unlock's on the 22nd of this month.

10. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

FO3 for me generally either works fine, or crashes immediately, several times before running fine.
    I don't see anyone who played FO3 not reaching these specs

11. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

I solved all my fallout3 crashes by limiting the number of cores the engine used to 2. It's pants with a >2 physical core CPU. Set to 4 [for a Phenom II] it would either crash when loading, or when entering a new area or building.
    In Fallout.ini :-

bUseThreadedAI=1
    iNumHWThreads=2
    Hopefully multi-core enhanced means more than 2 for this version, as it's had some engine tweaks.

12. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Fallout 3 Stability was shocking on my system (in sig) But managaed to limp through. Can't wait for New Vegas though

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I wasn't even expecting the specs to be any different to fallout 3. Then again I wasn't really thinking about it until I clicked on this article.

14. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

^ Heh. I could probably play it on my phone.

15. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Man o Man, some of the worst animations and graphics for a AAA 2010 game, why couldn't they at least upgrade them a bit? Looks like arse. Hate that type of laziness.

16. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

They are cashing in on the lack of competition I suppose. If there were some far better games out there, people might turn their nose up at this and not buy it. But seeing as there is barely any alternative these days, they know everyone will rush out and buy it no matter how ancient their graphics engine is. Cheap asses cashing in on the crappy gaming situation these days.

It would be a different story if Rage was closer to release, and if there were other Rages on the horizon, but that's not so.

17. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Does this mean I have to upgrade my 8086 and S3 911 ?

18. barney magru

barney magru What's a Dremel?

Think they'll be on the money with this in terms of content. Also can't wait for fallout: online (if it DEFINITELY surfaces) , gonna be really fascinating to see what they've managed to produce during the tumultuous recent months!

Oh and first post- hey there ;)

19. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

They actually have improved the animations a good deal, but the fact is that the engine is ancient - it's impossible to have diagonal walking animations, for example. Rather, Obsidian have focused on creating content rather than updating the visuals. The game world is the same size of the world in Fallout 3, but features more sub-locations, more unique-looking locations, about twice as many enemies, weapons and items, and has approximately five or six times as many quests, with an 800,000-word script.

Frankly, in a case like this, I'd say take your updated visuals and stuff them... not that I don't like pretty graphics, but I think Obsidian used the resources and time at their disposal in the best way they could have. As an RPG fan who was generally disgusted with the butchery of the Fallout franchise Bethesda perpetrated, I'm happy to see the more-or-less original developers back in the saddle to focus on the things that matter for an RPG: building of a logical and consistent universe with believable characters and factions, a strong story that doesn't require me to ignore dozens of plot holes, well-written dialogue, and deep and balanced systems based on traditional tabletop gaming, all things Bethesda utterly failed at in Fallout 3.

20. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

I'd agree with you except I dont, it's a pure cash in and lazy, they have no competition. NEWSFLASH, you can improve graphics, animations while still making quality content, you know , llike 99% of sequels do. Its using rehashed assets with no attempt to improve it. Obsidian also dont have the greatest history when it comes to making sequels.

Tags: Add Tags