1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Front Mission Evolved Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

I found it easier to control with mouse and keyboard than with my controller. Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't figure out how to map the controller. On the other hand using my G19 thumb buttons I have all 4 attack options mapped to my right hand.

The game isn't horrible, but I seriously expected so much more. I mean Front Mission usually has a very good story, this time it's not even able to compete with some shareware titles' plots and voice acting. I enjoyed the idea of 3rd person in the series, but out of wanzer combat completely cheapens the entire game.

It's worth the purchase if you find it on sale. I suppose at least it's already supported by SLI and you can force AA and such easily.

3. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Got this on release as I'm a massive FM fan already but this game is horrible.
    It just plays like an awful third person shooter.

I found the SP tolerable, but the designs were too linear and repetitive imo.
    And the Boss fights are some of the worst I've seen in a long time. Getting 1 hit is not my idea of fun nor a clever design imo.

The FOV makes MP too an extent, SP is alot slower paced so it doesn't matter too much i guess.
    And everythiong is so stupidly unbalanced, 2x missiles on your shoulders and you will own any boss very fast with not much effort, and the same goes in MP.

The only two things i can say i really liked are the agility backpack, this felt very smooth, andi recon this should have been standard. And Dylan's voice acting which i thought was quite good in comparison to the rest.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

a poor mans Armored Core.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'll be picking this up in the inevitable half-price Steam sales. It's lucky I fought my urge to pre-order it just for the 10% discount and two free MECHS.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

When will they stop producing rubbish like this? We want more MechWarrior DAMMIT!!!!!!

7. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Pete, it wasn't meant to compete with Mechwarrior (unless you want to count the crap XBox game). It was meant to compete more with Armored Core, but it shouldn't have even had to. FMs plot and writing has always been vastly superior to AC... except this time is subpar in every way. The poor gameplay would be much easier to swallow for me had the writing come through.

8. Jaberw0cky

Jaberw0cky What's a Dremel?

Majorly dissapointed that Evolved moved to action game. I'm a long time FM fan and I have a soft spot for tactical RPGs. It would seem Enix has struck again, making rubbish of Squaresofts good work.
    If I want fast mecha action, I'll play Armored Core, if I want methodical mecha action, I'll play Chromehounds, if I want mecha tactics, I'll play Front Mission 4.

9. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Aw man. I really really liked Front Mission 3 - This looks like a disappointment :(

10. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

FM3 was one of the best PS1 games ever. When I heard about this a while back I was hoping for something similar but really, REALLY shiny (though to be fair to FM3, It used the PS1 hardware well).

As soon as I read the words 'real-time' and 'third person' I died a little inside.

If you like turn based strategies and big robots, and have a ps1 or ps3, try and get hold of a copy, you won't regret it. They did make FM4 for the PS2, but it was not released outside of JAP/US and while I have a copy, I have no US PS2 to play it on :( FM5 was Jap only sadly.

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Another great series falls prey to... how to put this politely... "modernisation"?

Well, I'll think about it when I see it for a fiver or so.

12. Unknownsock

Still not worth it.

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I'm not so arsed that they took a much loved TBS and turned it into a TPS. What I am arsed about, is that they took a much loved TBS and turned it in to a mediocre at best TPS. What assholes. At least do a decent job of it!

14. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I didn't think it was too bad as a shooter. Only thing that I didn't like was the necessity of the agility backpack for nearly all boss fights. It's a big robot shooty game, such a game by it's very nature shouldn't be about ducking and diving. That said I did have to kill one boss by hunkering down behind a shield while hammering away at the week point with shoulder mounted gatling guns. Fun times.

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

im currently playing it evry now and then, but i have to say it deserves at least a 7 in my book.

its loads of exploding fun with nice Dolby digital on my 5.1 and great customization. with a little practice and skills, you can actually be good at it! /gasp

once ur comfortable with a build (slow is slow, heavy is heavy, and no weaponries in the game can compensate for that ****) its a good feeling to slide around and hit hard.

the rest of the game is laughable, yes...

funny how once of the tagline is "game from SE where the story quality is always top notch!".... well, not this game. the voiceover remind me dubbed Naruto and it made me gag alittle in the mouth on every cutscene...

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

+1

Any news on the new Mechwarrior game? Is it actually dead in the water or...

17. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

Why can't someone be brave enough to release a 'turn based' on-line multiplayer? I honestly think it'd work a treat, there must be tens of thousands of long term gamers who'd appreciate it, if for no other reason than it would be a different challenge from all the endless 3rd/FPS twitch clones.

(mind you I'd buy Front Mission 3 if they just ported straight from PS1 to PC... maybe it's a rose-tinted memory but I loved that game.)

18. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Trefarm, all the FMs hold up fairly well. There's a mod team working on translating FM5 though sadly we'll have to either get a rom or purchase a JP copy to make an .iso with and then run it through an emulator... and the Emulators don't usually play so nice with Square discs... at least none of the games I own.

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Trust me, Naruto is far from the worst dubs around.

20. Unknownsock

Pretty sure thats already out.

Tags: Add Tags